b20 vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kolumbo69

SO are the gains easier to make with a vtec b20 over a non vtec, all i want is some extra power for my b20 wondering what the most bang for the buck is Cause i will put higher compression pistons in the 11's then with a vtec head will these make okay numbers i guess is what im asking

a CR-VTEC set up will make nice #'s depending on what you're future plans are for it. whether your staying N/A or going the forced induction route. you mentioned high compression pistons in the 11's so I'm assuming you're planning on staying all motor.

yah im going na pretty much i want some good numbers but i know my budget and i cant for an amazing amount of money. What do you figure the best head would be to use to make the most power for the buck a b16 pnp with ctr cams and good valve train

Best bang for the buck- get an inexpensive set of IB Spec (Import Builders) pistons and rods, slap on a B16 head with CTR cams, then tune. Keep your compression in the high 11s to mid 12s depending on what kind of gas and tuning is available to you, and you could easily put 200whp down to the ground.

my bro has a b16 head on a B20z2, which has a higher compression ratio than the b20b4. I've looked over several dyno charts of b20/vtec setups with both b16 and b18 heads. the b18 head is more commonly used in my opinion but from what I've seen the b16 seems to make more power. I see you mentioned the word "budget". well a good b20/vtec set up doesn't cost a tremendous amount of money. heres what you will need:

1. b-series head (b16/b18)
2. b20 head gasket
3. oil lines and fittings
4. machine work on the head
5. a new b20 timing belt if using the b20 water pump.
or a gsr timing belt with a gsr water pump.
6. b-series motor mounts
7. b-series tranny, shift linkage, ecu, wiring harness and so on.

optional: (just to be safe)
8. new clutch
9. upgrade your valvetrain

Yup- that's about what you need...

It's odd that you've seen more people doing B20/VTEC setups with B18C heads- they're more rare and more expensive than B16 heads. I've seen a TON more B20/B16 combinations than B20/B18C combos.

i would recommend the GSR head, for higher compression, and better flow.

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Feb 19 2004, 12:18 PM
i would recommend the GSR head, for higher compression, and better flow.

The flow between the B16 and B18C heads are almost exactly the same- and you really should change pistons to get more displacement, not the head. If he can get a B18C head for the same price as a B16 and doesn't want to pay for pistons, then he can do it for a little extra compression- but overall the static compression will still be pretty low.

oh i stand corrected i was reading my post before i probably am going to get pistons and rods with in around 11.5-1 compression i was just wondering what the best top end would be for a good price dont want to go to crazy.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 16 2004, 11:34 PM

It's odd that you've seen more people doing B20/VTEC setups with B18C heads- they're more rare and more expensive than B16 heads. I've seen a TON more B20/B16 combinations than B20/B18C combos.

really? where I'm at I've seen way more b18 heads than b16. I have no idea why that is though cause like you said they are more expensive. my brother is the only one I know using a b16 head on a b20 bottom end and that was only cause it just makes sense to use the head that came with his Si, instead of paying for a b18 head. but everyone else I know is using a gsr head on their b20/vtec setups...weird.

wow thats weird i couldnt find and b18c heads not that i really looked around just one place all i could get was a b16 and i think i would be the one of few to do this swap where i live everyone else has b16swaps. Your bro has a sick swap though.

yeah he threw a rod though. It's temporarily out of commission, should be up, running and fully built in about a week. (depending on how long UPS takes)

Back