b20/vtec redline??????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its a shop that all they do is honda. SS Imports in portland,OR i would imagine they know what they are talking about since they are obviously making a living and OWN the shop. the way you guys are talking makes it sound like it makes NO power after 7,800 rpms as in the car should be slowing down after you reach that rpm but the b20 keeps pulling all the way up to 9grand. maybe it doesnt make as much power at 9000 as it does at 7800 but it is still making more power at 9 then it is at 6. also yes i. also, WOW blanco your so good at being sarcastic!!! oh man i would love to come out to afganistan and hang out with you if it wasnt such a shit hole over there and you werent such a prick!!!!.....have we bombed your house......err i mean your mud shack yet? ell well im sure we will then you can bitch like all the rest of the filthy.......afgani's. well have fun with your goats and im going back to rebuilding my dodge's engine this week.
P.S. if you would offer HELPFUL advise and not just rip on people then you might help someone out there. people like you are the reason that afganistan is a shit hole. we should pack up all the dumb asses in OUR country and ship them over there.....(oh wait we have already started to)

wow. alittle anger there?:huh: Put you brother's b20/vtec on the dyno and lets really see where it stops making power. I thought i was making power all the way up to 8k to in my lsvtec util i put it on the dyno.

anyway, bottom line is he has a STOCK B16 head and STOCK bottom end. I say rev up to 8000 if you want but no further. Cams wont make power past that. My gsr cams stopped making power at 7400. By the way that stock block was never meant to be revved that high anyway. Your oil pump will slowly ruin you build.
TRUST me i know. I just threw a bearing on my recent lsvtec because i was too lazy to change the ls oil pump to a type R one. Fully built with P&P head and s2s2 valvetrain with forged bottom end down the pipe all because it didnt get enough oil at high rpms.

you might want to get that car to a dyno as fast you can. Or you can stop beating on it until you know for sure that you head and block can handle it. cuz right now............it cant.

its a shop that all they do is honda. SS Imports in portland,OR i would imagine they know what they are talking about since they are obviously making a living and OWN the shop. the way you guys are talking makes it sound like it makes NO power after 7,800 rpms as in the car should be slowing down after you reach that rpm but the b20 keeps pulling all the way up to 9grand. maybe it doesnt make as much power at 9000 as it does at 7800 but it is still making more power at 9 then it is at 6. also yes i. also, WOW blanco your so good at being sarcastic!!! oh man i would love to come out to afganistan and hang out with you if it wasnt such a shit hole over there and you werent such a prick!!!!.....have we bombed your house......err i mean your mud shack yet? ell well im sure we will then you can bitch like all the rest of the filthy.......afgani's. well have fun with your goats and im going back to rebuilding my dodge's engine this week.
P.S. if you would offer HELPFUL advise and not just rip on people then you might help someone out there. people like you are the reason that afganistan is a shit hole. we should pack up all the dumb asses in OUR country and ship them over there.....(oh wait we have already started to)
Im sensing som anger too.......if they know so much about hondas than ask them and STOP posting questions if your gonna get angry you tard!!!:D

We tuned a guys b20/vtec and it was the exact same setup you have. Stock bottom end with stock b16 head. The cams quit making power at 7300 rpms. So reving to the b16's factory redline of 8200 would be the smartest thing to do. Cams might help you make more power on the topend, however this engine combination does not have very high compression. So gsr or type r cams are the most I would go with, without a jump in compression. Hope this helps. :p

Ohh forgot to mention, that yes it was tuned on a mustang dyno, no ass dyno. So I think that should end all of this talk about reving to 9 grand

i reved my b20vtec to 9300. that was only because it was built. it was a 13.2:1 motor with a ported head and crower 403s. it made 214whp on a dynojet. all the b20vtecs ive put to gether for customers (with stock crv internals) have had the limiter set at 8300. those have all been with grs cams. the 2 with type r cams have been set at 8500. hope this helps.

wow glad to see a member closer to me. I'm in Tally Fl.

anyway. I'm pretty sure we helped this guy enough. 8300 is about right.

Are you guys seriously kidding? 9000 safty? on a b20 bottom end? The Crv redline is 6800 rpms for a reason and rods arent able to hold high rpms, just because the head can rev that high safty doesnt mean you can rev any honda to 9k and be safe!

Are you guys seriously kidding? 9000 safty? on a b20 bottom end? The Crv redline is 6800 rpms for a reason and rods arent able to hold high rpms, just because the head can rev that high safty doesnt mean you can rev any honda to 9k and be safe!

This thread is 10 months old dude. Check the dates on stuff before you post.

WTF ? how the hell is it you keep finding these old threads? :lol: whats it like 5 this weeks?

cmon people! look at the dates before you post!

9k is putting way more strain on your engine than you know. sure you replaced the "weak" bolts with stronger ARP items, sure the guy at the shop "said" it was ok to rev that high, sure it's unlikely that during the 3 month warranty the motor is going to let go, but it sure sucks when "probably" doesn't pan out. honda oil pumps are not the strongest units in the world. get them up there past 8k for an extended period (or a lot of short periods) and you'll be rebuilding before you know it. but hey what do i know, rev the shit out of it if it's got a warranty.

I wouldn't rev it past 8k, personally. Take a good look at its rod stroke ratio and maybe, if you understand it, you will understand why I say this. :)

7,000 is were i would take it on a stoke motor. the arp bolts help out but it still doesnt help that your r/s ratio from the b20 block and vtec head are diferrent. 6,800 - 7,000 is were its at

Did you guys miss the part where we discussed the fact that this thread is a year old? :p

whats the sense of reving that high when the target rev limit dies off lets say it reves 9k and the stock rev limit is at 8.2 u really wont notice any hp gains

gtfo.jpg

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

Back