b20/vtec rev limiter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

On a B20/vtec engine, with a b16 head, can I rev to the b16 redline or the b20 redline? someone told me that you can only rev to the b20 redline which is like 6200 rpms, which sucks. Is this true or will it be safe to 8000?

the head is what your are revving... So the cams limit, valves, springs and retainers dictate how high you can rev. Also a flywheel that is lightened revs faster than a stock one.

No, you're actually revving the bottom end twice as fast as you're revving the cams. If the engine is turning 8000rpm, the cams are only turning 4000rpm. :p

Cams and valvetrain DO limit your revs, but your bottom end typically needs to be beefed up in a B20/VTEC setup first before you can hit revs high enough to worry about your valvetrain.

If your B20's rods and pistons are aftermarket forged pieces and everything was put together properly, I don't see why you couldn't take the engine to 8000rpm.

Quoted post[/post]]
On a B20/vtec engine, with a b16 head, can I rev to the b16 redline or the b20 redline? someone told me that you can only rev to the b20 redline which is like 6200 rpms, which sucks. Is this true or will it be safe to 8000?
Rev it to 8000. People keep thinking B20 blocks are so weak. In mild all motor conditions they can do the same thing an Lsvtec can do. They both have the same rod stroke ratio. The crank is the same every thing on a B18b is the same as a B20b except the sleeves and the pistons. The B20 pistons are 84mm when the B18b is 81mm. People think just cause the cylinder walls on B20s are a little thinner and they are symeese style sleeve they will crack which is usually true under high boost or retardly high compression and that's usually without being tuned. Don't get me wrong those sleeve are a little weaker but most I've seen that cracked a sleeve were running lean. Here in NYC alota people are b20vtec all motor with 12.5-1 compression, some are on the bottle with a 100shot, some are even running 10lbs on boost, and they are running good. You know why? because they safely tunned their shit. If you are worried just get ARP rod bolts because that is the weakest link in LS/B20vtecs. Also check this out.
http://b20vtec.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5227

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Rev it to 8000. People keep thinking B20 blocks are so weak. In mild all motor conditions they can do the same thing an Lsvtec can do. They both have the same rod stroke ratio. The crank is the same every thing on a B18b is the same as a B20b except the sleeves and the pistons. The B20 pistons are 84mm when the B18b is 81mm. People think just cause the cylinder walls on B20s are a little thinner and they are symeese style sleeve they will crack which is usually true under high boost or retardly high compression and that's usually without being tuned. Don't get me wrong those sleeve are a little weaker but most I've seen that cracked a sleeve were running lean. Here in NYC alota people are b20vtec all motor with 12.5-1 compression, some are on the bottle with a 100shot, some are even running 10lbs on boost, and they are running good. You know why? because they safely tunned their shit. If you are worried just get ARP rod bolts because that is the weakest link in LS/B20vtecs. Also check this out.
http://b20vtec.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5227

Is it possible to replace the rod bolts through the oil pan with the engine in the car? also what pistons would you recomend using?

Quoted post[/post]]
Is it possible to replace the rod bolts through the oil pan with the engine in the car? also what pistons would you recomend using?
I believe it is possible, and about pistons, that depends on how hard you are trying to run. If you just wanna be in the low 14s you can do that with a stock B20vtec, Type R cams(Type R cams +driving skills) or skunk2 stage 1s and your in the high 13s. You wanna see low 13s then some pistons may be needed like 12.5-1 you can get 11-1 but I just feel if your gonna change pistons go for the gusto, just make sure with that kinda compression you don't run lean, not for a split second or your B20 will be having a funeral.

THANK you.... someone else who isn't completely brainwashed by all the idiots on the internet with NO experience playing with B20 blocks and think that the cylinder walls are made of glass.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I believe it is possible, and about pistons, that depends on how hard you are trying to run. If you just wanna be in the low 14s you can do that with a stock B20vtec, Type R cams(Type R cams +driving skills) or skunk2 stage 1s and your in the high 13s. You wanna see low 13s then some pistons may be needed like 12.5-1 you can get 11-1 but I just feel if your gonna change pistons go for the gusto, just make sure with that kinda compression you don't run lean, not for a split second or your B20 will be having a funeral.
LoL, shit I am in the low 14s with my all motor nonv-tec setup. It's a B20B and Si tranny with bolt ons. I don't even have v-tec and I rev mine up to 7200 and have had no problems from the block.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
LoL, shit I am in the low 14s with my all motor nonv-tec setup. It's a B20B and Si tranny with bolt ons. I don't even have v-tec and I rev mine up to 7200 and have had no problems from the block.
Yeah I did a 14.9 without the vtec head in my 4dr eg full interior with stock headers clutch and everything so your time is about right considering you have a cx chasis plus headers and shit. Now I have a vtec head so I'm curious what I will do now.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

1. you're gonna want to take those pictures out of your sig.

2. NO you cannot install ARP rod bolts through the oil pan. You have to machine the rod for the bolts to fit.

C'mon, Mike, how did you not catch this?

sheesh.

Back