B20 vtec TURBO ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

Ok I have decided to boost. Here is my current setup. It is running and I am jsut not satisfied with the setup.

B20b block 12:1 cr pistons
SI tranny
B16 head
AEBS intake manifold
STR 68mm tb
3" CAI
ITR Header
Greddy Evo Exhuast
CTR cams, valvesprings
AEM fpr
255 lph fuel pump

I will be changing this to a setup. This is all I know

MY ITR header is gone and piston cr needs to be lowered.

My questions is:

Can anyone tell me what else i need to change? Oil pump, water pump etc etc?Can anyone give me a complete parts list for a DAILY DRIVER with occasional long travel trips? With Prices. Please include computer components, fuel management, injector size, turbo, intercooler, blow off etc.

The bigest problem is price so please make the list as complete as possible and if you can it does not have to be a super top of the line parts list, but reliable and somewhat quick.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Sep 7 2004, 02:00 PM
The first thing you need to do is get sleeves.
[post=387094]Quoted post[/post]​

No, the FIRST thing you need to do is post this in the "Forced Induction" forum. :p

Ok sleeves are on the list. and any moddy who sees this please move to FI. Now what next...

Giving us your horsepower goal will allow us to suggest a turbo/injector size to you.

Sleeving is an option if you're planning on going high horsepower.
My friend Matt's B20/VTEC turbo hatch lasted a pretty long time on stock sleeves boosting 5psi. Would have lasted longer but someone pulled out infront of him and the car was totalled.

If you want it to last a while buy an engine management system, get some bigger injectors and find someone who has experience tuning the EMS you end up getting.

Turbo Honda's DONE RIGHT = money pit

remember that. shit will break and cost you body parts to replace. if it were me and I had a somewhat of a tight budget and already had my foot in the all motor club like you do...i'd sell what i had and start over OR just keep going the all-motor route till i was happy

what car is this going into and what HP goals do you wish to achieve?

Horsepower is not super important, mostly that the turbo is a reliable build and is budgeted. I will buy whatever I need to buy to make it reliable, but I don't need to buy the top of the end parts that just make it go faster.

I have to rebuild the bottom end with pistons and sleeve it so i figured i would just turbo it. All I would lose is my header and my s100 hondata system. It is going into a 97 coupe. I need to know about how much everything is going to cost about. Injectors fuel management, intercooler etc etc.

Khai

BTW thanks for the replies
I know absolutely nothing about turbos.
I am an all motor guy

Khai

All Motor Hondas = Money pit when compared to Turbo Hondas.

If there were a BSFC rating for money spent/foot pounds of torque, I have a feeling that boosted peeps will win out, and have better driveability to boot.

Here is your shopping list:

Injectors (Resistor Box if you are using Peak and Hold injectors).
Hondata/Uberdata
Exhaust Manifold (Turbo)
Downpipe
Intercooler
Charge Piping
BOV
Wastegate
Turbo

Higher Boost Requires:
Lower Compression
Sleeves
Map Sensor

I don't love you enough to attatch prices, but to boost your setup won't be cheap. Your Fuel Management had better be top notch if you intend on running high Static Compression (Greater than 10.5).

Thanks a ton freemantle

I will be running lower compression pistons (any idea on the ideal compression for reliability tunability etc?)

It will also be sleeved

Anyone want to add to the list and/or add prices?

Thanks B,
any other info or prices, will a turbo setup tuned be streetable and able to take long trips say 4-5 hours?

Yes it will be streetable. How often do you drive 4-5 hours? I don't see any problem with it making the trips as long as your not "no it" the majority of the time. Treat your car good and it will be good to you.

Yes but those big rig engines are made for the long haul.

What else can i do to my motor to make sure it lasts. I take the 4-5 drive about once a month.

Khai

Good fuel management and tuning will make your motor last, but as long as your easy on the gas (don't boost a lot) your motor won't even know the turbo is there.

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Sep 13 2004, 10:38 AM

What else can i do to my motor to make sure it lasts. I take the 4-5 drive about once a month.

Khai
[post=389639]Quoted post[/post]​

The turbo will not even even come close to hurting your engine for those drives (supposing you are not running an ebay radiator), but your right foot can do a world of hurt.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]+Sep 13 2004, 07:38 PM-->
[Freemantle said:
@ Sep 13 2004, 07:38 PM)]khai_tuan_nguyen
[Freemantle said:
@Sep 13 2004, 10:38 AM

Khai
[post=389639]Quoted post[/post]​

The turbo will not even even come close to hurting your engine for those drives (supposing you are not running an ebay radiator), but your right foot can do a world of hurt.
[post=389887]Quoted post[/post]​

What do you mean my right foot?

Originally posted by khai_tuan_nguyen@Sep 13 2004, 10:32 PM

What do you mean my right foot?
[post=389980]Quoted post[/post]​

Boost comes from engine load, which roughly comes from the intensity you mash the pedal with. On a properly sized turbo, you shouldn't make any boost at normal 80mph freeway speeds. Unlike a supercharger, a turbocharger dosen't really make any boost when you are not accelerating.

Back