b20 vtec type r spec r any good????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

marshall12395

ok so im thing about but a b20 type spec r i dont no much about these engine i hear some good things and bad thing. anybody think its a good or bad buy?????:D

You're thinking about buying a B20-VTEC?
They can be really good, or really bad. It depends on who builds it.

i wanna buy it but im little scared.lol is there anyway to tell if the engine is built right or would it not even be worth my time to get it

i would do a compression check before buying any secondhand engine.

find out who built it, if it was a reputable shop, then it might be good. if the guy selling it says he built it, or a buddy built it... then you need to ask lots more questions. he should know the build inside and out, what exact parts were used, etc. find out what parts are still stock and what is not. were the cylinders bored out or honed? did they replace the timing belt, water pump, oil pump, etc during the build? i would ask if it was ever dyno tuned, or tuned at all for that matter. all that being said, if you are looking for some sort of very reliable daily driver motor for you civic or whatever... then i would just stick with a basic GSR swap, stock motor.

Last edited:
if its not in a running vehicle that you can drive in, pass it up. Because the title alone sounds like some ricer put R stickers all over it and is tring to sell something that doesn't really exist.

the guy said he already baught it build and he said it was tuned before but it was the first owner that did all the work and he said the first owner got it build by a good tuner shop, (but he could be just tell me all this). i kinda want it cause it 5 bolt 4 wheel disc brake and its clean

Be wary. The front bumpers, hood, fenders, and doors don't match the quarter panel. I suspect the car has been hit at some point in its lifetime.

Don't buy it unless you get a really good deal on it. B20-VTEC's are plentiful if that is all you are looking for.

Back