B20 VTEC valve reliefs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CivicB20B

I'm almost finished getting all my parts together for my B20 VTEC build but I was wondering about the valve reliefs on the pistons. Do they need to be enlarged or deepend or can I leave them alone. I'm using a JDM B20B with a 2nd gen B16A head with stock cams and timing. Please help, thanks.

I believe they can be left under stock condtions,they just need to be deepend some guy on honda-tech did it with a dremal if your going to do anything with adjustable cam gears. But if your going to do any head work like cams later on i would suggest picking up a set of forged pistons and not waste the time of dremaling it.

dont adjust your cam gears + or - more than 1 degree or you will end up having problems. if u keep them withing factory specs you'll be fine.

Yea, I'm keeping stock 2nd gen cams in right now as well as stock timing. The intake valves on an LS head are 31mm and VTEC heads are 33mm that's why I'm wondering. I do plan on getting pistons but they won't be ready for at least a month (CP's).

yes, just leave it alone
we just built a b20vtec (b20/gsr)
running 15 psi dyno'd @ 358whp stock bottom end
Total Performance Racing

you can, i got mine notched for cheap buy a very reputiable guy, so it was like cheap insurance to me, it sounds like your going to keep an all stock setup and not reving too high so i wouldn't worry about it

it'll be stock for right now, until I tear it all down this winter. I have the rods for it, but I can't afford the pistons right now. I already dropped a bunch for the Endyn breather and Golden Eagle kit. I don't plan on revving high so I'm sure it'll go alright. I probably will grind the reliefs out just for insurance.

Back