B20 Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sihatchback_RL

Building a B20 Vtec, what are the pros and cons about this setup? any suggestions would work. thanks guys.

pro's - more displacement

con's - none that I am aware of, and if any of you say RS ratio I will go balistic!!!

if its not built correctly it'll probably leak from the head gasket, and the b20 bottom end really isnt meant for the kind of revs a vtec head shines at.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Jul 12 2004, 10:07 PM
the b20 bottom end really isnt meant for the kind of revs a vtec head shines at.

Mine ran fine for 45k+ miles, revving to 8500rpm at every opportunity. Build it right and it will hold together just fine.

it's not meant to handle the revs??...........well if you build it properly it will handle them all day long.

there are guys on HT running stock bottomend b20's and pushing well over 200whp with over 40k on their rides....

pro
beautiful torque/hp
if built correctly, the sky is the limit

con
thin sleeve
when the sleeve goes, you must replace the entire sleeve as a whole since it is a single unit, whereas with an LS block, the sleeves are individual.

b20/ls rod bolts arent as strong as b16/b18c rod bolts, which is one of the major causes of high rpm failure. add in heavier pistons and a rotating assembly that isnt as precisely balanced as the b18/b16's, doesnt have a block girdle or oil squirters like the b18c, and you have the possibilty for failure. obviously there are a lot of people running perfectly reliable b20 vtecs, however a quick search reveals its not the most reliable motor in the world. he asked for pros and cons, and this is one of them.

hence why i said if you build it, it will handle, although I have seen them NOT built and handle fine.

If anyone is piecing a motor together and add some mods internally it's always wise to to upgrade literally a majority of the internal components with new and stronger stuff. Items such as waht you metioned being ARP rod bolts, strong rods, new sleeves, R oil pump, new water pump, new timing, new seals and rod bearings, all of those parts will increase the strength and should give out more miles.

well was planning to get B20, but i got a deal with Unitex in texas for a JDM B18C GSR for 1400. so i'm sticking with the almighty GSR

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Jul 15 2004, 12:18 PM
well was planning to get B20, but i got a deal with Unitex in texas for a JDM B18C GSR for 1400. so i'm sticking with the almighty GSR

What's wrong with it? 1400 is DIRT cheap for a B18C, even if it is just the longblock with no sensors, harness, axles, etc.

it's a complete motor with one year unlimited mile warrranty. got if off ebay for BUY IT NOW. if it don't run right, of messed up, they'll send me back 25% of what the motor cost and a new motor.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Jul 15 2004, 09:24 AM
it's a complete motor with one year unlimited mile warrranty. got if off ebay for BUY IT NOW. if it don't run right, of messed up, they'll send me back 25% of what the motor cost and a new motor.

Sounds too good to be true, but good luck with it.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@Jul 15 2004, 11:24 AM

im in texas how can i get ahold of this place? thats f'ing cheap!!!

yeah, that's what all my friends say too, i couldn't believe it myself too.. but hey, for all you guys looking for motors, unitex have some pretty decent UP OF GRAB deals.

hmmmm, hell if the motor comes complete and runs, great find!!

anyone have any sugestions for an oil pump for the b20 vtec setup

Back