1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b20 vtec

Discussion in 'Integra' started by jdmloc, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jdmloc

jdmloc New Member

i am doing a b20 vtec engine in my da
    and was wondering
    how or where do you get your block resleeved?

and i was reading this on a b20 vtec engine as i want to build it

"You should avoid advancing the intake cam much as contact will occur between the piston and valves if the cam is advanced much more than 4 degrees. In fact this is so close, it is not really advisable to advance the intake cam at all.

If running larger lift and duration aftermarket cams in your B20/VTEC Frank, or if the head has been modified for higher compression by milling, the piston's valve pockets should be modified and the valve-to-piston clearance confirmed with clay before the head is final assembled to the block. Additional clearance can be obtained by careful grinding the pistons valve reliefs with a die-grinder with carbide burrs and polishing the result with cartridge rolls. A minimum clearance of 0.045" on the intake valves and 0.055 on the exhaust valve is advisable."

can someone explain to me how to do this also as i want aftermarket cams and such?

thanks guys

2. formby

formby learning in progress

since you need help on this i would do the following

1 buy everything [block, head, cams]

2. find a reputablke machine shop

3. have them plastiguage the clearances and they will remove as much material as possible

or buy these
    [​IMG]

3. jdmloc

jdmloc New Member

ya i know how to get pistons and shit like that
    i am just worred about the cams because i want aftermarket ones and in the quote i said it says their could be a problem with that because the valves and pistons will have contact
    here it is

i just want somebody to explain this to me and what i can do to fix that

"You should avoid advancing the intake cam much as contact will occur between the piston and valves if the cam is advanced much more than 4 degrees. In fact this is so close, it is not really advisable to advance the intake cam at all.

If running larger lift and duration aftermarket cams in your B20/VTEC Frank, or if the head has been modified for higher compression by milling, the piston's valve pockets should be modified and the valve-to-piston clearance confirmed with clay before the head is final assembled to the block. Additional clearance can be obtained by careful grinding the pistons valve reliefs with a die-grinder with carbide burrs and polishing the result with cartridge rolls. A minimum clearance of 0.045" on the intake valves and 0.055 on the exhaust valve is advisable."

thanks again

4. formby

formby learning in progress

dont you read....
    #3 in my post thats what you need to do

THEY PLASTIC GAUGE THE PISTON AND VALVE CLEARANCES. THEN THEY REMOVE MATERIAL FROM PISTON TO MAKE IT FIT

5. jdmloc

jdmloc New Member

oh sorry man

thanks for the info

6. jdmloc

jdmloc New Member

so your saying if i get the pistons from rs machines
    they i wont have to go to a machine shop and get it plasticgauged?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted