b20 vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmloc

i am doing a b20 vtec engine in my da
and was wondering
how or where do you get your block resleeved?

and i was reading this on a b20 vtec engine as i want to build it

"You should avoid advancing the intake cam much as contact will occur between the piston and valves if the cam is advanced much more than 4 degrees. In fact this is so close, it is not really advisable to advance the intake cam at all.

If running larger lift and duration aftermarket cams in your B20/VTEC Frank, or if the head has been modified for higher compression by milling, the piston's valve pockets should be modified and the valve-to-piston clearance confirmed with clay before the head is final assembled to the block. Additional clearance can be obtained by careful grinding the pistons valve reliefs with a die-grinder with carbide burrs and polishing the result with cartridge rolls. A minimum clearance of 0.045" on the intake valves and 0.055 on the exhaust valve is advisable."

can someone explain to me how to do this also as i want aftermarket cams and such?

thanks guys

since you need help on this i would do the following

1 buy everything [block, head, cams]

2. find a reputablke machine shop

3. have them plastiguage the clearances and they will remove as much material as possible

or buy these
rspistonsadob9.jpg

ya i know how to get pistons and shit like that
i am just worred about the cams because i want aftermarket ones and in the quote i said it says their could be a problem with that because the valves and pistons will have contact
here it is

i just want somebody to explain this to me and what i can do to fix that

"You should avoid advancing the intake cam much as contact will occur between the piston and valves if the cam is advanced much more than 4 degrees. In fact this is so close, it is not really advisable to advance the intake cam at all.

If running larger lift and duration aftermarket cams in your B20/VTEC Frank, or if the head has been modified for higher compression by milling, the piston's valve pockets should be modified and the valve-to-piston clearance confirmed with clay before the head is final assembled to the block. Additional clearance can be obtained by careful grinding the pistons valve reliefs with a die-grinder with carbide burrs and polishing the result with cartridge rolls. A minimum clearance of 0.045" on the intake valves and 0.055 on the exhaust valve is advisable."

thanks again

dont you read....
#3 in my post thats what you need to do

THEY PLASTIC GAUGE THE PISTON AND VALVE CLEARANCES. THEN THEY REMOVE MATERIAL FROM PISTON TO MAKE IT FIT

so your saying if i get the pistons from rs machines
they i wont have to go to a machine shop and get it plasticgauged?

Back