B20 w/LS auto - won't shif out of park

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What did the fluid look like that came out of the transmission before you ran it?

Well after further inspection the trans fluid appears to be coming from where the axles shaft meets the transmission so the best guess is that the gasket was pinched or failed there.

Also a spark plug check showed two plugs were white which is a lean condition correct? And the other two had oil around them so I'm hoping only a gasket issue there.

Well good news the car has no engine codes and no tcm codes. The car is running a little rough but I think I can fix that by rewiring my o2 sensor extension because I'm getting a messed up reading from it but not the connector going to it which is odd I think.

The car isn't too fond of downshifting so I'm going to adjust the cable going to the throttlebody.

Bottomline: This swap works and has no reason not to work with exception of the person working on it and if bad parts are put in it (my first auto was bad). If all your ducks are in a row when you have the engine out like ensuring your sensors, harness, transmission etc etc are all good before you install them this swap is about as simple as a manual obd1 b20 swap besides the installation fabbing.

O2 sensor problem fixed. The O2 sensor extension that Trackmasters made was bad. I cut my secondary O2 sensor connector off and replaced the bad connector with it and soldered everything together. I cranked the car and took it around the block and the car idles and drives a lot better with no engine or TCM flashes. My only problem is a slight idle creep up to 1000rpm and then the dreaded drop to 500rpm but besides that the car runs and drives fine.

I'm not sure exactly what the idle problem is but I suspect I might need to adjust my Fast screw or possibly my TPS. At this point I'm pleased with the way my car runs, drives and even the idle issue is very minor at this point.

My only other concern is whether the car is going to be a pain to get to downshift but judging from my downshift from at 50mph and run up to 70mph it's not too bad right now. If it is a problem I think I just need to figure out how to adjust the kickdown cable that leads from the throttlebody to the auto trans.

Last edited:
Well turns out my new o2 sensor was bad and since Trackmasters o2 sensor extension had been my problem before I put my old o2 sensor back in and bingo my problems seem to be mostly gone. I think my old o2 may be a bit fouled so I'm going to get a new o2 and see if that improves my fuel economy and power and rids me of a slight surge I was having yesterday but not today plus it seems to be good to have a spare laying around anyways.

Hi I'm having the same issue right same setup same jumper harness from rywire obd2a - obd1 and at cranks up an everything but it won't shift out of park I have a 96 civic ex automatic thanks guys

Hi I'm having the same issue right same setup same jumper harness from rywire obd2a - obd1 and at cranks up an everything but it won't shift out of park I have a 96 civic ex automatic thanks guys

I think the same thing happened to mine early on but I didn't do the swap and didn't fix that part of it. I believe it has something to do with a sensor near the shifter. I suggest you get the service manuals online for the 96-00 Civic and 94 Integra.

Service manuals: Manuals - Downloads - Hondahookup.com

Back