B20a/b21a Frank?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

Hey all. A friend of mine picked up an older ('90-ish) Prelude Si for parts and he said I can just have the motor if I want it. It's a B21A. I hear all kinds of people going with the CRV bottom ends, but never the older B20/21s like this. These are still a B-series motor, right? If so what would make this any different than using an LS-bottom end? I would be looking to swap whatever vtec head I can find onto it, probably a B16. Has anybody tried anything like this? Thanx B)

B21 has oil burn problems. Ludespeed used to have a kit to slap a b16a head on the b20/21 block. It requires LOTS of modding to get it to work. Plus with that head on the b21, you'll REALLY have oil burn problems. I'd just keep the b21 as a parts engine.

The 2.0 is a little better engine just because the walls on it are somewhat thicker than the 2.1. I got 256,000 miles out of my motor and it was still running strong as hell, but I pulled it since the car is under reconstruction. And again, it's not the worst engine ever, because well....I got 256,000 miles out of mine and it kicked the hell out of some sweet cars. I'm not just talking about HFs, DXs, and the likes, so don't even think about bringing those up.

Back