b20b/b16 head or b18b1 newbie need help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94civicexnewb

Hey everyone, well let me start of by saying I'm a newbie on imports and recently got into this. I'm a motorcycle rider and now I want to get into imports. So it'll be great if I can get your help.

I'm gonna buy a 94 civic ex vtec, I was on cl. I haven't gotten a lot of info about the car. It's a single cam of course like I said a v-tec I'm guessing it's a b20b? Not really sure but that's what I think. He said it was imported from Japan. That's all I know so far. I live in Cali and I know the B20 is not legal but the car I'm buying is in Texas( I'm moving there)

Okay well I did a little research online about the B20b and the b18b1 since I think they're the most popular. This is the info I got( correct me if I got it wrong):

B20'(s): well of course came off the CRV: b20a,b20b,b20z.

B20z: has a slight her compression than the b20b

B20a: 88-91 prelude no jdm's couldn't find any mods for it.

B series is the dual over head cam motor. And ab and c mean wether or not if they're v-tec.
On B20's low compression=higher boost and high boost=lower compression.
B20's can't run for hp but are great for tq also have thin walls to be able to push heavy boost, no turbo engine will crack but are great fora supercharger. And they don't rev high.

That's what I know about the B20 series.

Now the b18b1: it's ls, low compression and longer gears and are great for rurbos. They come with low compression pistons and are not v-tec but are easy to make it a v-tec.
A b189 runs on low boost or to get different compression pistons to run higher boost(but this is something different from the other 2 motors)

That's all I have researched on so far.
Now these are my questions.

Which engine is better? And why?

What's better more hp or tq? And why?
What's the difference and need of high or low compression. What does high compression do and what does low compression do?

What's the difference of the b20b and the b18b1?
(What's their specific difference and what does each one do?)

It's going to be my daily driver and I want high performance for racing. ( I would race for my cousin but never paid attetion to what I was really driving) I just did what he told me to do lol. Anyways what engine is best for my needs. And what needs to be done on the engine I chose at the end of all this? I rally need help. Thanks for looking at my post.

Ok if you are getting a Civic Ex then it has a D16Y8 motor stock, single cam Vtec. No Civics came with a B20 stock. If it does have one then it was swapped in. The B20B and B20Z both came in the CRV. The B20A is not a true B series motor and will not swap into a Civic and shares no similarities with B18s and B20s. All B20s B20A, B20B and B20Z are all non Vtec. The B20B and B20Z can have a Vtec head swapped onto them just like a Ls Vtec. The B18A and B18B are basically the same a B20A/Z just with a smaller 81mm bore, B20 is 84mm. The B18A/B have a C/R of 9.2:1, B20B is really low at 8.8:1 and the B20Z is higher at 9.6:1. The B20Z also has the best non Vtec B series head with larger intake valves and better intake cam. So the best would be the B20Z. Pair it with B16 head and you have great setup. Now the B20 also has a week point, the cylinder walls are thin. Having the larger 84mm bore makes the walls thinner and the sleeves weaker than the B18. I am building a DD B18b Ls Vtec. I personally like the B18b better but that is my opinion. To answer your question on what needs to been done to build a motor tell me what type of racing you will be doing and what your WHP goal is. For a starters, on any Ls/B20 Vtec you will need. Ls Vtec kit, GSR water pump and timing belt, ARP rod bolts (yes a must), GSR head bolts, Hondata or a tuned ECU is the best way to go for ECU needs, and if you want to run bigger cams than stage 1 or ITR then P30 or ITR pistons.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply guys. And idk what engine it comes with but thanks.
Now to the first guy who replied cus you gave me the most info, okay you said the engine was stock( d16y8) well might be, but the guy said it was imported from Japan so I'm guessing he swapped it out. The B20a is outta the equation then, so if I were to chose between a B20b or a B20z in that series which would be better?

And you already answered that> which your answer was the B20z, and yea the research I did they did say that the walls were thin which was its weak point. Now when you say C/R 9.2:1 you mean by? And what is the 84mm bore ans sleeves? I know sounds like a real stupid question to ask. I am real familiar with cars and the parts, I'm not good to remember names that's my problem lol.

The type of racing I want to do is, straight aways and circuits(laps) I don't really have a goal on WHP but if I did it would be at it's highest peak I would go, (it's maximum power) so what would you recommend? The B20s or the Bw8's? Money is not an issue to built I just want a high powered motor.
And if possible would youy be able to show the the steps on building wither one? At least the basics? Cus I want to built it on my own, what's the point of swapping and having an engine like that if you're not gonna do it yourself right? Thanks and hope on hearing from you soon.

If you want a good motor for circuit racing get a ctr or itr motor as they are made from factory to do this and rev high and pull good in a circuit race. Not no b20 vtec buy the ctr or itr add header, exhaust, and CAI and a good clutch and you will be more than happy with it..

Thanks Hondafreak513.
So that's a good engine for racing? But I'm not talking about
Track racing, I mean straight up illegal racing in the streets, and would this engine be good for a daily driver? Cus this is gonna be my car for school practice work ect.
Thanks

And am I replying in the right place? Or do I have to reply to you guys somewhere else? I'm using this webpage through my blackberry, if I am replying in the wrong place can you guys let me know?

The ITR would be better for street racing or any other kind of racing.. But if you wanna spend a lot of hours building and building then tuning then go with a B20Z and a GSR head but just a lot of time in building and parts as you will have to strengthen everything to be able to rev high, this combo with give you the best torque to hp ratio if built right and tuned right..

Alright, so it's better than the b20's annd b18's?
I wouldn't mind taking the time building it but,I rather have an engine
That's race ready right now, and maybe later in line I would build a engine up.
How much does the engine cost? And what can be done to it, to have it at its greatest potential?

C/R 9.2:1 means Compression Ratio is 9.2 to 1. 84mm bore is the size of the holes for the pistons. The best B20 is the B20Z because of its higher compression. The B18C5 ITR motor is the best out of the box JDM versions make 200hp stock. Up the C/R and build the head and tune 250whp is reachable. But the ITR motor is more expensive that building a Ls/B20 Vtec.

Ok, how much would the B18c5 ITR come out to? Just the enginne it self.
Alright yeaa I'm familiar with the parts just not the names.
So the C/R is good then? For the B20z?
What about a 93 integra? Would it be the same as what we were talking about for the civic or would I have to go in a different direction?
The integra has a bone stock motor in it, would it be better if I build it up or get a B18c5? If it is possible to put in the integra?

B18C5 is 11:1. The Integras are very very similar to the Civics. If you have a 93 Teg I would just build the motor and do a Ls Vtec. Yes and B Series will drop right into a 93 Teg. Civic and Teg motor swaps and Ls Vtecs are 99% the same.

the B18C5 is the USDM ITR engine and has a compression ratio of 10.6:1

the JDM B18C (R) has a compression ratio of 11.1:1

if you dont know what you are talking about then just shut the fuck up and dont say anything
STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION

^yep I was just referring to the the JDM version as that is the most wanted and easiest to get. They can be sourced from any JDM engine importer. It is harder to find a USDM B18C5, at least in my area. Heck a Vtec head is hard to find unless you know where to look. Oh and Fuck You, so sorry if I did not include the crappy USMD ITR C/R, ass. There are a lot of jack asses on this forum. There is a JDM B18C5 ITR motor also.

Last edited:
no fuck head there is no JDM B18C5... they do not use numbers to specify the difference between B18Cs in the JDM market... they are just called "B18C"s

people will often refer (incorrectly) to the type R or GSR equivalents of the JDM B18Cs as JDM B18C1 or JDM B18C5... but they do not exist... they are simply B18Cs

so by specifying "B18C5" you were referring to a specific engine... that engine is found in the USDM Integra Type R... if you wanted to refer to the JDM version you should have put "JDM" in front of "B18C5"... you still would have been wrong, but you would have been more clear in your intent... another generally accepted way of specifying which JDM B18C is being referred to is to add the model after... for instance: B18C/R, B18C/SiR, etc...

for someone who claims to have been swapping since the mid 90s you really dont seem to know fuck all about anything

and by spreading your misinformed bullshit around you are not helping anyone learn anything

have a nice day :fuckyou3:
smooches :wub:

Last edited:
Just because Honda did not stamp the JDM block with a 5 does not mean it is not a B18C5. All ITR motors JDM or USDM are B18C5. Just like the D16Z6 is stamped ZC on the JMD version but it is the same motor. For the USDM market Honda had to id the different motors as per DOT. Because the JDM motor is not stamped with a 5 it makes it very easy to ID it from a USDM motor. I am not spreading mis info, so sorry if I dont feel like typing a book every time I post. Stupid little forum basher. While you sit on your ass in from of the computer I am working on cars and building motors, it kind of what I do for a living as well as a hobby. So your opinion really means nothing to me. I did 5 ITR motors swaps this year and built a few Vtec heads. How many did you do??

are you fucking kidding

1 post ago you were saying they were different
sorry if I did not include the crappy USMD ITR
now you are claiming that they are the same engine
Just because Honda did not stamp the JDM block with a 5 does not mean it is not a B18C5. All ITR motors JDM or USDM are B18C5. Just like the D16Z6 is stamped ZC on the JMD version but it is the same motor. For the USDM market Honda had to id the different motors as per DOT. Because the JDM motor is not stamped with a 5 it makes it very easy to ID it from a USDM motor.

get your shit straight

:no: dumb ass they are not the same
they have different internals... the pistons are different, the cams are different, the trannys are different, the exhaust manifolds are different, etc etc etc... thats why they have different specs and outputs
and no not all ITR engines are B18C5s
the ITR in the UK and Europe is marked B18C6
the ITR in Australia is marked B18C7
of course you have never heard of either of these so they dont exist... kinda like the B18C4 that came in the Civic Aerodeck doesnt exist

im not even going to bother with the rest of your post because it means nothing
i dont care how many swaps you claim to have done
i dont care how many heads you claim to have built
i dont care what you claim to do for work or for a hobby
you can claim to know all sorts of shit and do all sorts of shit all that you want... but you keep proving that you dont know shit with every fucking post

:axe: get him E

iv been waiting for some one to set this shit head straight
but i dont know shit about Bs so i keep my mouth shut ( take note of that intensneal)

intensneal :ufucktard:
and your gona get your ass banned talkin to E like that

I tried to tell him to slow down in another thread and I was hoping he would heed my warning. But it looks like he's still trying to give mis-information to every single nOOb who wants to know about B-series motors.

Back