B20b into 88(?) DX hatchback...*sigh*

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skarpenz

I can only imagine the number of times this has been covered and I am completely ready for the "search" replies. Here's the thing, I never seem to get the answers I need from other people's threads. That being said, here's to beating a dead horse;

I just "scored" this 88-91 DX hatch from a friend. It has a JDM B20b mounted in the engine bay -as opposed to the hatch region, or maybe my engine stand. Anyway, I did all the mechanical work about a year ago and it is now "mine." I have not worked on Hondas in a long time (I usually prefer to waste my time and money modding RX7's; masochism is not for everyone) and I do not even know where to start on the wiring. It has a "swap" harness already plugged into the engine, which was made by someone. I know this because my friend told me he paid someone some money to do that at some point (beyond that, iunno). That swap harness runs into the passenger area where it is laying with random tags on seemingly random wires displaying pin locations on an ECM harness. I am not the brightest of the bunch but I can figure this sh*t out, right? Well some genius has cut the (8?) wires that *I THINK* are for injector wiring on the factory harness. If you know what these little red wires are then you know the problem I am having right now. I have not tried to start the engine and I would rather not until I get the wiring completely done.

I guess the first problem is this: since those "injector" wires on the dash harness have been cut (severed) how do I figure out which end to solder back onto which end? I have no earthly idea what this person was thinking when they cut 8 IDENTICAL wires with no labelling system whatsoever. But if someone could maybe point me in the right direction? Hell, if anyone is in my area I may even let you come over and help me! I'll buy the beer and tacos!

Thanks for everything (or nothing?) Anyone's $.02 are welcome in my thread so LETS GET IT ON. You guys like V8 RX7's? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. The wiring harness I have is made for this swap and plugged directly into the engine (including injectors) and into the shock towers and then has extra wiring running through the fire wall. Do I still need an MPFI conversion if I am wiring everything through this harness and into the ECM? I have been drinking tonight so forgive me if my post makes absolutely no sense. Again, thanks for the link.

Sounds like you have it right, i did my wireing different I used a 88-91 si harness and chopped it up for the swap useig that writeup, but sounds like you have it just go over everything to make sure

Ok, I was way off my memory is fucked these days.

It was 2 red wires and 2 yellow wires. I *think* I got them matched like they're supposed to be. I have a jumper harness from OBD0 to OBD1 and a little sub harness coming from that. As far as I can tell the sub-harness mainly is for VTEC, o2, and knock wires. My engine harness (that is made for the engine swap) had individual tags on each wire on which pin on the OBD1 ECU to pin/splice into. I did all that, leaving the unused wires from the sub-harness dangling for now.

I don't have a battery so I hooked jumper cables from a running truck to the battery cables on the civic. When I go to start it the fuel pump primes and then the start just clicks, then I see smoke coming from behind the interior fuse panel/steering column area. WTF. I tried jumping the starter with a screw driver and the key in the ON position and the same thing: click from starter (no turnover) and then smoke from in front of the steering wheel.

Any ideas?

Here is the post I made on Honda-Tech. Apparently no one can help me, has this really never been covered? Holy sh*t....

I'm gonna break this down as clearly as possible.

I have a swap engine harness to put this engine (JDM B20b) in this chassis (EF DX). Engine has the OBD1 plugs and all the required OBD1 pieces on the engine. The engine harness plugs into the OBD0 shock tower plugs and then has some separate harness with bare wires running into the firewall. These wires going into the firewall have tags with ECU pin locations to splice/pin into. I connected all those wires from the engine to the required ECU pin locations.

I have a OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness to plug the OBD1 ECU to the OBD0 wiring inside the car, the aforementioned loose wires were spliced into this jumper harness to make it easier for me to troubleshoot any problems. The jumper harness has a 10(?) wire sub-harness coming from it with wires for o2 sensor, knock, and VTEC. I am using the wires for o2 (running 4 wire OBD1 o2).

With this setup do I need to run a resistor box for the injectors? I am using 240cc OBD1 injectors, not OBD0. The car is a DX (DPFI) and usually when running the OBD0 injectors you would need a resistor box (like just swapping to MPFI). This injector thing is bugging me and I want to know if I am even going about it correctly.

Thanks guys.

EDIT

I forgot to mention, I have no idea who produced this engine harness or jumper. So yeah, just putting that out there, the stuff came with the car.

DO I NEED A MF'ING RESISTOR BOX?!

Back