B20B Low Compression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nightwars

Hello,
This is my first post and I made a quick search about it and didn't get any relevent results.

I recently brought a 1991 Integra GS with a swapped B20B (around 90000km on it) and the automatic tranny :wall:.

Since I checked around to ID if I had the low comp or high comp engine, I figured I had the low compression one since it came from a JDM reseller and it had no Knock sensor and a serial starting with #3, I plan on removing the head and checking the pistons just to make sure.

The engine seems to have all the B18a/b intake, fuel rail and accessory attached to it. (Guess they just pulled the block out and threw everything that bolted on the B20B right on).

So since I am a little bit disappointed by the loss of power due to the low compression I was looking at these...

B20 84mm High Compression Pistons Rings DC2 EK EG on eBay.ca (item 130326242859 end time 20-Oct-09 08:58:58 EDT)

I am now wondering,
-Will they fit?
-Are they any good? (Reviews seems nice with NPR)
-What kind of power gain should I expect?
-Would you do it?

I am studying to be a Auto Mecanic so I don't really mind opening the engine up and swapping parts but I'd like to know the opinions of people who know more than I do and I am willing to listen to any advices.

Thank you for your time, and I am happy to be part of this community.

I saw those too. BUt don't they ship from Mexico.... AAhhh N.A.F.T.A..

But the price IS tempting. I'll wait a little more time (not building it right now) and see what their feedback does.

The ones from Endyne are beautiful but pricy. I think there are more that are just a little more, like 260.00

I've been told to look for a V-tec head and that's what I'm gonna do after weighing all of my parameters.

E

260.00 ain't that bad. You have a link for those?

Yes, many people been telling me to go the Vtec way, but I'd rather stick with the stock head for now and just add more compression...
Would I need another head to run those pistons?

There's also the Turbo way, but thats a little pricey.

Yeah, I'm torn that way too. I really don't want to spend the $ and don't want to make big hp. I'd just be happy with 180+. It would only be in a 90 4dr civic.
All I did was get into Ebay motors and type in 'B20b pistons'. I'm packing up from work, so I'll try and link ya later tonight.

E

Exactly, I'm not looking to go 200+, with my 91 Teg. lol
I'm just trying to get more out of the stock block, and if I only have to change the pistons heads, well, I'll do it when winter is over.

Thank you for the link, but those are Oversized? Wouldn't that just weaken the already weak B20B walls? I heard those walls we're thin already, overboring surely wouldn't help unless you plan on resleeving the bastard. lol

I would advise against going any larger than an 84mm bore on B20 sleeves. It's just asking for trouble if you decide to do something to it later on.

Exactly what I thought, Overboring it would be a little dangerous.

What kind of mod can we do to it without having to upgrade the sleeves, any ideas?

read a little of my other thread 'stock pistons to raise compression' (i think) The bore thickness isn't all that different between the two. And the stock sleeves look to be the same thickness.

I'm going with just B20z pistons/decking block n head/block guard/maybe total seal rings/balance/light flywheel/header and a self port job/mild cams/back cut valves and have some fun.

I probably won't 'dyno' it but really don't care. I dyno'd a 88 crx dx that I built the stock motor and i showed 82hp at the wheels without headers!
Sure I was feeling a little awkward, but it was my buds shop (free)

I'm sure that we'll meet our goals and be reliable too.

E

P.S. if you get them, let me know how the transaction went.

I only planned on getting the High Compression pistons, after of course, switching to a Manual tranny lol..
I also checked for the B20Z pistons but I can't seems to find any to buy.

If I make the transaction over Egay, I'll make sure to let you know the outcome and let you know how they feel and fit inside the B20.

Back