B20b Sol swap complete...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sOLLEx

The Car:
93 del Sol S

The Motor:
stock 97 B20b (CRV)

Tranny:
98 teg type r

Bolt-Ons:
ACT clutch w/ACT lightened flywheel
Intake
JDM type R header

This was my first swap so i guess it all comes together easier the more you do it but anyhow, the swap went pretty well for this being a new thing to me. My friend helped and was most of the brains behind the project and had done 3 prior honda swaps.

I will go into more detail of the swap when i'm not so tired, but for now:

We turn it over yesterday and it struggled a little but started after the gas started flowing. Keep in mind that i have no exhaust on from the header back. This bitch was loud as hell. We get a CEL but decide to drive around the block anyway.

It had rained all morning so the streets were still wet. As i drove up the street (open header) it didn't seem that the power i was expecting was there. You just can't lay down any kind of power with 13 inch steelies and wet roads. We drove around for 30 minutes or so and everything seemed fine except for the dirty looks from all the normal people wondering when my car was gonna blow the hell up.

I got up this morning and tried to find a dry spot on a main road. That made all the difference. I got it to hook up in second, third, and fourth and i got the torque that i was looking for. This little bitch pulls hard as hell. I was happy.

The main issue:

Gearing in that type r tranny is so fuckin close, i was cruising at 65 mph @ 3400 RPM's. That is the only suck ass thing. I belive my top speed will be 105-110mph.
I would not recommend the type r tranny with this motor for those who do a lot of highway driving. I guess you could change out the fifth gear for a longer ls or gsr one. It is fun as hell between stop lights because the tranny gets you up and moving in a blink.

CELs:

We got map sensor and O2 sensor CELs. I had the b20 O2 plugged in, so i just swapped it out with the one that came off my d15b (CEL went away). We had the d15 map sensor (on the firewall) unplugged from the beginning so we just decided to plug in that one as well. The CEL didn't come on but the car would idle @ 500 and be very lumpy and almost die. We dicked with the timing but could not get it to idle any higher. We unplugged the map sensor and it started up and shot up to 1200 RPMs and sounded fine but when we drove up the street it started missing and popping. Hopefully we can get a timing light tomorrow and adjust it correctly.

Any comments and suggestions plz

sOLLEx

VTECLess B20 Sol

of course its going to run like ass with 3 CEL's. you shouldn't even have driven it, let alone HARD to see what the pwoer is like.

PLUG THE MAP IN. frankly, i don't know how your car even ran with out it. if its idelign too low, adjust the idel screw on the throttle body, not the timing...

check for air pockets in your coolant... that messes idels

I had the integra ls map sensor plugged in the whole time and i left the d15 one out, i guess i forgot to say that in my post. I only had 2 CEL's, one for the map sensor and one for the oxygen sensor. I have also turned the idle screw many times but that doesn't help much

Your IAC Valve could be screwed, I know mine probably is. When I try to adjust my idle from the 500 or so that it sits at, it won't really cange it at all. It doesn't matter to me, but I probably should get a new IAC valve anyways.

Back