B20B/Z SWAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TRIPtych2

Hey guys, I plan on doing a b20 swap in my 99 Civic DX Hatchback and was wondering which route I should take for the transmission. The two trannys in question are the GSR or the LS. I plan on eventually turbocharging the motor but financially will not be able to do it for another year or two. Should I go with the shorter geared GSR or will the b20 still be strong with the LS? I found that the LS would be better for a boosted car due to the longer gears, but since the b20's touqe falls off quite fast in the upper rpm's would the GSR work well too?
Any help on this subject would be great! Thanks :)

i've got GSR atm, and yes it does pickup really fast. but if you plan on using the car for a daily driver and drive on the highway a lot, it's not very pratical. i find it at ~4000RPM at just 70-75mph. i think 90 is 4500RPM. eitherway, i'm swapping over to LS as i plan on turbo by summer hopefully. hope this helps

btw i have b20z.

Run the GSR transmission. If you build your engine right (not necessarily $$$), you'll be fine running 4500rpm on the highway. I run even shorter gearing than camelian, and I drive about 500-1000 miles a week. The GSR transmission will get you into boost faster, and the gears are still tall enough to get good utilization of the turbo torque curve.

gsr is a good highway tranny, it's fine. On another not if you went with a S1 tranny or S4 your going to be revving pretty high.

If the GSR tranny is reving at 4,500rpm at about 75-80 mph, what would be the top speed possible with this transmission? Thats a reason I am seriously considering the LS tranny. Also, does anyone have any expenience/knowledge with the b20/LS set up? Any help would be great, thanks.

actually 4500 is ~90. i haven't pushed my car past that as I don't feel safe in it lol. i need to get shocks. if you're worried about top speed, you could always swap out the 5th gear in the GSR w/LS or something. you would just have to run 4th gear up higher. i have no idea how much that would cost you though

the thing i do like about having a short 5th gear is that you still get accel when you hit the gas (both slow and higher speeds). with most other cars i've driven, you HAVE to downshift to 4th to get any movement. but in my car w/only intake and exhaust, i still get accel in 5th.

Back