B20vtec In a Hatch reliability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Threres people all over the place running tes with a b18c here. H22 is too heavy

I fweight were such a huge concern, there's the dealio.

B series is 50% heavier than the D series motors.

H series is only 35% heavier than a B series.

If weight were THAT much of a concern, everyone would be using ZC engines.

H22's are GREAT drag engines after they've been iron sleeved, puts the heavy part of the car OVER the wheels, and they are the largest engines that "fit" in a civic lightweight chassis.

B series are great too, but it's mostly because of the drop in nature of the beast, and HUGE aftermarket of upgrades.

I have actually seen a C32 in a CRX, though I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to do the swap.

Whoa.. HOLY MISINFORMATION BATMAN!

You guys need a Honda engine spec lesson. :D

Let me set a few things straight:

The B20B and B20Z are identical except for intake manifold and compression ratio- the USDM B20B has 8.8:1 compression, while the USDM B20Z has 9.6:1 compression and a taller intake manifold stack for increased midrange torque. The JDM B20B has the same compression as the USDM B20Z, 9.6:1.

The LS block (B18A, B18B) has the exact same stroke geometry as the CR-V blocks, the B20B and B20Z. The only difference between the B18 non-VTEC blocks' and B20B/Z blocks' rotating geometry is the BORE.. Both blocks have an 89mm stroke- the B18 just has an 81mm bore while the B20B/Z has an 84mm bore.

The B18 non-VTEC blocks and the B20 blocks from the CR-V will rev to the same level because they have the same stroke geometry. Since the B20 has .2L more displacement than the B18, and all other factors are the same- identical frankenstein setups built with the same components (pistons at same compression) will yield more power and faster times with the B20 compared to the B18 block.

I don't know where you get your information, Havocprez, but you better double check before you go telling people the wrong stuff.

The B18C, on the other hand, has an 87.2mm stroke. Coupled with the longer 137.9mm rod compared to the B18A/B and B20B/Z 137mm rod, the GSR and ITR blocks have a slightly more favorable rod/stroke ratio of 1.5814 over the LS and CR-V blocks' 1.5393 ratio.

Common sense and engineering dictate that all things equal, the higher rod/stroke ratio will yield higher sustainable rotating speeds within your engine. Given that, engine builds are never equal. The .04 difference between the ratios of the GSR/ITR blocks and the LS/CR-V blocks really doesn't mean anything once you start building the bottom end of the engine.

If you're worried about stroke- tell me this... why does the B16A with its 1.745 r/s ratio have the same 8200rpm redline as the 1.581 r/s ratio B18C? You can rev a B18A/B and B20B/Z to the same levels as the higher revving B16 and B18C- you just have to use the right parts.

One more thing- the B20B came only in the CR-V, not the older Preludes. The older boxy Preludes came with the B21A and B20A, and never the B20B.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 21 2002, 12:05 PM
Whoa.. HOLY MISINFORMATION BATMAN!

You guys need a Honda engine spec lesson. :D

Let me set a few things straight:

The B20B and B20Z are identical except for intake manifold and compression ratio- the USDM B20B has 8.8:1 compression, while the USDM B20Z has 9.6:1 compression and a taller intake manifold stack for increased midrange torque. The JDM B20B has the same compression as the USDM B20Z, 9.6:1.

The LS block (B18A, B18B) has the exact same stroke geometry as the CR-V blocks, the B20B and B20Z. The only difference between the B18 non-VTEC blocks' and B20B/Z blocks' rotating geometry is the BORE.. Both blocks have an 89mm stroke- the B18 just has an 81mm bore while the B20B/Z has an 84mm bore.

The B18 non-VTEC blocks and the B20 blocks from the CR-V will rev to the same level because they have the same stroke geometry. Since the B20 has .2L more displacement than the B18, and all other factors are the same- identical frankenstein setups built with the same components (pistons at same compression) will yield more power and faster times with the B20 compared to the B18 block.

I don't know where you get your information, Havocprez, but you better double check before you go telling people the wrong stuff.

The B18C, on the other hand, has an 87.2mm stroke. Coupled with the longer 137.9mm rod compared to the B18A/B and B20B/Z 137mm rod, the GSR and ITR blocks have a slightly more favorable rod/stroke ratio of 1.5814 over the LS and CR-V blocks' 1.5393 ratio.

Common sense and engineering dictate that all things equal, the higher rod/stroke ratio will yield higher sustainable rotating speeds within your engine. Given that, engine builds are never equal. The .04 difference between the ratios of the GSR/ITR blocks and the LS/CR-V blocks really doesn't mean anything once you start building the bottom end of the engine.

If you're worried about stroke- tell me this... why does the B16A with its 1.745 r/s ratio have the same 8200rpm redline as the 1.581 r/s ratio B18C? You can rev a B18A/B and B20B/Z to the same levels as the higher revving B16 and B18C- you just have to use the right parts.

One more thing- the B20B came only in the CR-V, not the older Preludes. The older boxy Preludes came with the B21A and B20A, and never the B20B.

keep talking! :worthy: dont stop! lol :worthy:

Originally posted by knowledge@Oct 22 2002, 05:29 AM
professor calesta at his best! lol

:D

Sorry, but I had to. There was too much misinformation in this thread.

Hey, I used to teach. If it paid well enough, I would be teaching instead of sitting at an engineer's desk.

lol I feel ya. I would teach also if it paid better instead of doing this military crap!

yeah then you get hooked up pretty well

Back