b20vtec losing power??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
the background info:
my integras got a b20z block with b16a head, stock internals on the bottom and the head has springs, reatainers and just some GSR cams for now.
other than that is just bolt-ons... cat back exhaust with test pipe, short ram intake, type R throttle body

so the car isnt all that fast, although it runs excellent, like it came from the factory this way even. no CEL, purrs like a kitten. i just put a 4 into 1 stainless header on it and it feels like it lost power compared the oem cast iron POS manifold :(

first im wondering is it the ecu holding the motor back?... it is just a stock p28 (i think they are for single cam vtec) and it hits the rev limiter so soon.

also wondering why i would feel a loss in power after adding this header?

first im wondering is it the ecu holding the motor back?... it is just a stock p28 (i think they are for single cam vtec) and it hits the rev limiter so soon.

uh....are you kidding me? a stock P28 running a B20vtec...

ok yeah so thats what i was thinking was the main problem... i just bought the car like this a couple weeks ago.

so i just talked to xenocron, the guy was real helpful.... now waiting for my chipped ecu to arrive

Last edited:
Just FYI, I wouldn't raise the redline above 7K on the ECU on a stock b20 bottom end either.

i have heard 8000 rpms was the limit.... 7k seems so low!

i intend on getting a skunk2 intake manifold, stage 2 cams and cam gears very soon and then getting it tuned on a dyno. would i be able to safely make power past 7k with proper tuning? or is it that the b20z block just doesnt take the revs?

Last edited:
Back