B20VTEC swap (strange one)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gambitt

OK so I have a B20VTEC motor that I've just finished building. My EG is rusted to hell so I was looking for another chassis.. and I was offered a good deal JDM DC5 chassis (missing motor, tranny and recaros etc) but most of the car is there and in excellent condition. I really want it!

You can probably guess my question :D. Can I swap a B20 into a DC5? It's perfectly legal to swap in an older motor where I live :) and I really don't want to start building a K series motor now! I was thinking that some EP Civics have D series engines right? And the EP and DC5 are very similar (same mount locations?)

So in theory it should be possible if I find a way of mounting it?

I think it would be possible. But, what I would do is get the DC5 shell and a cleaner EG, DA, or DC(2) shell for as cheap as possible, then put your motor in the older shell and keep the DC5 shell clean(don't let it rust/get abused) until you feel like or have the cash to build a K.

Well I've been searching around for what little info is available and it does look a lot of work. I think wiring/electronics is the main issue with this swap. I'll look for DC2 shell instead. Such a shame because this would've been perfect for my B20 :(

well, maybe not, because you've got to consider weight, too.
The DC2 will be a little lighter than the DC5, so you'll actually pull better times.

Back