Back in the saddle.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well guys 'n gals, I'm back in the Honda scene. I'm picking up an '87 Integra and a 1G CRX HF in a few weeks.

Since every homeboy and their mom has "plans," I'll share mine...

Swap in the Integra rear end, front LCAs, front hubs, engine, tranny, axles, engine harness, car harness, ECU, fuel tank.
9lb. or less flywheel
Some hair chested clutch
29mm torsion bars up front (for those that don't know, these are equivalent to about 500# rate springs).
GC coilovers in the rear with 500# rates.
Tokico Illuminas
Bushings
Sways
16" flat black Rotas of undetermined model
Wilwood 12.2" brake kit
Maybe some tires.
Autopower bolt in cage welded in.
1st gen JDM Supra pistons/ B16 rods in the D16A1
12- 15 PSI of boost from a Toyota CT26 turbo
FMIC from a Mercury Cougar XR-7
DSM BOV
SDS EIC fuel management
Super top secret balls out hardcore aerodynamic enhancements. Don't ask. When I'm ready to tell, I'll show. You're gonna shit your pants when I do, though. ;)
Total gutation. I shall leave no interior part unremoved. It'll be the kinda stripping yo' mama wishes she could do.
Flat black paint.

Goals: Low 13's and 1G in the turns on the same tires and suspension settings. Oh, and on 92 octane.

youve got some work ahead of you my friend!

excellent choice on the 1G though.

this was my first car i bought. 85 DX.
aaa.sized.jpg

arent you at like 6000 ft elevation or something? 13's will be very hard to do at that elevation. unless your basing it on 13's at sea level.

oh i thought you were higher, best of luck :) . and OH MY GOD MY FUCKING EYES i hope you dont plan to do that to the poor rex. :thumbsdown:

edit: might not be so bad without those hideous fenders and tails

ya the tegra has a straight axel in the rear and shitty drums

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 30 2003, 11:09 PM
ya the tegra has a straight axel in the rear and shitty drums

You're retarded. 1G Integras and '84- '87 Civics have solid rear axles. This doesn't make them handle bad. Kinda like how struts are supposed to make a car handle bad, right? Well guess what... Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, and 240SXs all have struts! Handle bad what?

As for the brakes, you missed the boat. 1G Integras have discs. Sad, but true. And the rear sway on a 1G Integra, which happens to be housed... *gasp* IN the axle... is larger than the CRX rear sway. Oh, and you gain about a half inch of track with the 'Teg rear axle.

So yeah... the rear end of the 1G Integras suck big time. Yep. Fuck me for wanting to swap out the CRX rear axle for it.

And another thing... why the fuck do people shit on rear drums? If you had even the slightest inkling of knowledge about how drums work, you'd understand that a dual servo drum, like what's in the back of 99% of all passenger cars, will actually produce MORE clamping power than a disc of the same size. Guess why. No, really... go ahead and guess why. I'll wait.
Are you done struggling to grasp this concept? OK, good. It's because the drum has about three times the friction surface as a disc and the mechanical action of the drum rotating past the shoe actually pulls the shoe against the drum, increasing the clamping force even more!! The only downside is that the drum doesn't breathe at all, so it fades quickly. In low speed applications where maximum stopping power is needed, they use drums, like on the front of every dump truck, semi, concrete truck, and box truck in existance. Some of the smaller ones have discs, but it's an option not often used.

Are you ready for more revalations about rear drums? I hope you're sitting down because I'm sure this will come as a shock to you...

Sitting?

Good.

In a passenger car (read: non- purpose built race car), at threshold braking, the rear brakes only do about 20% of the total braking due to... anyone... anyone... weight transfer. Amazingly but true, when you step on the brakes, the CG of the car shifts forward, putting more weight on the front brakes.

Now, I know what you're thinking... "but why, oh great one, do they put rear discs on race cars and all the publically consumed sports cars?" Well, that's a simple answer, my physics- challenged friend... Race cars as in tube frame race cars, have their vertical CG below the axle line. When you hit the brakes in these cars, you get squat. Not nose dive, but squat. The weight actually transfers to the rear of the car. If you can't figure out how this happens, let me know and I'll draw you a picture. They also do it for easy of brake pad replacement. As for the publically consumed sports cars, it's just for looks. In the public eye, drums = econobox low performance, and discs = hot ass sports car.

Back to the Integra rear end... The only reason I'm swapping rear ends is for the bigger rear sway. I couldn't give two shits about the brakes or the track. I've done a rear disc conversion on a '90 CRX DX and didn't notice a damn bit of difference in braking or pedal feel. You can take that to the bank because unlike you, hcivic.com, I'm speaking from experience. In the future, don't open your mouth unless you're positive you know what you're talking about. Misinformation on this board is worse than a CSi member posting about dubcaps.

dude the tagra rear axel sucks. I have driven and was a part of writting one off. Parts are near impossible to find and expensive as hell as for the brakes i was not saying dont due it but consider a rear disk swap. Yes it can be done before you try to say it cannot. My buddy was going do it. all that was need were some custom parts.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Sep 30 2003, 11:45 PM

dude the tagra rear axel sucks. I have driven and was a part of writting one off.

I really don't know what the hell you just said, but if you think a larger rear swaybar sucks, then yeah, the Integra axle sucks compared to the Civic/ CRX rear axle

Parts are near impossible to find and expensive as hell

Really? Gee, that's funny... It took me about 20 minutes to compile this list a few nights ago:

as for the brakes i was not saying dont due it but consider a rear disk swap. Yes it can be done before you try to say it cannot. My buddy was going do it. all that was need were some custom parts.

Are you fucking kidding me? Your buddy is a bigger imbicile than you! Custom parts? WTF, did your parents hold you upside down as a kid? Dude, to do rear discs in ANY Honda, all you need to do is bolt on the hub and spindle of the same model with rear dics. As for doing a disc swap on an '84- '87 Civic/ CRX, all you need to do is bolt in the rear end from an '86- '89 Integra! What in the hell are you talking about custom parts? Fuckin' A, son...

i have changed the rear brakes on on it is drum
i have the manual for the 89 it is drum
i had on in my driveway and looked at the rear drums

i will post the pages from the manual tommorow morning
maybe the canadian model is diffrent?
hell at that time they were still shipping from japan to canada?
but no i was not high when i was working on that car

Back