Back Yard BBQ'in

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
So this summer I took a real interest in BBQ'in. Using charcoal and wood to be specific. Ive just got a simple Kingsford grill with an adjustable height charcoal rack, a lighting chimeny, and a wood chip basket that I made at work. My specialty is smoked (hickory and mesquite are what I have so far) steak, and onions sauteed with Red Sage and Johnny's. Im getting ready to start building my own offset cooker/smoker over the winter for next year. My boss gives me full access to our sheet metal shop for personal projects, so it would be easy to do.

So who else is into BBQ'in? Whats your setup? Whats your go-to meal?

i have a pretty sick bbq grill. i use gas for ease of use and consistent temps.

i usually cook ribeyes and chicken.

I have both a gas weber and a charcoal weber. I like to use mesquite as well for the flavor, once in a while alder.

I've cooked a lot of different stuff thsi last year. I have steve raichlen's barbecue bible to learn/practice certain techniques like zones and stuff. I also have a bobby flay book and a couple non-celebrity chef bbq books that I like to get recipe's out of.

This last year I really perfected my ribs. I got the timing/consistency dialed in. A good rub going, and a couple different techniques for if we're sharing, or small group, etc.

I have both a gas weber and a charcoal weber. I like to use mesquite as well for the flavor, once in a while alder.

I've cooked a lot of different stuff thsi last year. I have steve raichlen's barbecue bible to learn/practice certain techniques like zones and stuff. I also have a bobby flay book and a couple non-celebrity chef bbq books that I like to get recipe's out of.

This last year I really perfected my ribs. I got the timing/consistency dialed in. A good rub going, and a couple different techniques for if we're sharing, or small group, etc.

I dont cook chicken too much. But when I do, I like to cook it with some fresh Rosemary that I grow. I wanna try doin ribs some time. Just gotta work up to it lol. That and brisket once I get a good enough setup to do it right.

i use mesquite chips that i get from Cash N Carry (kind of like a Costco) and i usually just grill steaks and chicken wings/sticks. The closest i get to BBQ'in is beer can chicken, which is freaking awesome and tri tip, each about an hour or so.

My brother and dad do ribs, brisket and pork shoulders in a smoker we have. oh yeah and pork belly, mmmmmmm...

as for the grill/smoker, its a unit my dad made, kind of hard to describe its dimensions.

Back