1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Yard BBQ'in

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by newb, Sep 12, 2011.

1. newb

newb phresh VIP

So this summer I took a real interest in BBQ'in. Using charcoal and wood to be specific. Ive just got a simple Kingsford grill with an adjustable height charcoal rack, a lighting chimeny, and a wood chip basket that I made at work. My specialty is smoked (hickory and mesquite are what I have so far) steak, and onions sauteed with Red Sage and Johnny's. Im getting ready to start building my own offset cooker/smoker over the winter for next year. My boss gives me full access to our sheet metal shop for personal projects, so it would be easy to do.

So who else is into BBQ'in? Whats your setup? Whats your go-to meal?

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

i have a pretty sick bbq grill. i use gas for ease of use and consistent temps.

i usually cook ribeyes and chicken.

3. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I have both a gas weber and a charcoal weber. I like to use mesquite as well for the flavor, once in a while alder.

I've cooked a lot of different stuff thsi last year. I have steve raichlen's barbecue bible to learn/practice certain techniques like zones and stuff. I also have a bobby flay book and a couple non-celebrity chef bbq books that I like to get recipe's out of.

This last year I really perfected my ribs. I got the timing/consistency dialed in. A good rub going, and a couple different techniques for if we're sharing, or small group, etc.

4. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I have both a gas weber and a charcoal weber. I like to use mesquite as well for the flavor, once in a while alder.

I've cooked a lot of different stuff thsi last year. I have steve raichlen's barbecue bible to learn/practice certain techniques like zones and stuff. I also have a bobby flay book and a couple non-celebrity chef bbq books that I like to get recipe's out of.

This last year I really perfected my ribs. I got the timing/consistency dialed in. A good rub going, and a couple different techniques for if we're sharing, or small group, etc.

5. newb

newb phresh VIP

I dont cook chicken too much. But when I do, I like to cook it with some fresh Rosemary that I grow. I wanna try doin ribs some time. Just gotta work up to it lol. That and brisket once I get a good enough setup to do it right.

6. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

I love some BBQ, but I dont cook it myself. :D

7. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

In nyc the best you get is a foreman grill. :/

8. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

i use mesquite chips that i get from Cash N Carry (kind of like a Costco) and i usually just grill steaks and chicken wings/sticks. The closest i get to BBQ'in is beer can chicken, which is freaking awesome and tri tip, each about an hour or so.

My brother and dad do ribs, brisket and pork shoulders in a smoker we have. oh yeah and pork belly, mmmmmmm...

as for the grill/smoker, its a unit my dad made, kind of hard to describe its dimensions.

9. newb

newb phresh VIP

Well, get to it!

Lmfao!

Ive been researchin home built, and commercial smokers/grills lately, there are some pretty gnarly home-built setups lol.

10. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

NO grill, no car, and a ton of traffic I couldn't live there.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted