backfire through IM!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustang67n

ok.. i was driving my honda (89 dx w/e SOHC ZC) and i heard it backfire from the IM. i know it kinda boggs a bit from 1/2 to full throttle, but this time it backfired!
im running a PM6 ECU.. idk whats wrong..

im going to check my timing tomorrow.. all my fuel system is stock..

AHH! help!

backfiring thru intake manifold usually caused by ignition timing too far advanced, camshaft timing not right or intake valve not seating properly (could be bent) - could also be spark plug wires not in correct order

the only way im assuming it was from the IM is because the sound came from the front of the car. it was a distinct backfire sound (the 'pop' sound)

i'm going to try to check my timing ASAP, thanks jlicrx

did that end up fixing it for you? the firing order?

i'm going to pull the honda into the garage when i get a chance and check all that.
but im almost positive my firing order is correct 1342 i believe is how its plugged

make sure its going the right way. I did 1342, but did it the wrong way(ended up being 1243), and had that exact intake poping noise. I know for sure it was intake too, because the intake pipe was pointed right towards me.

right on guys.. im going to check that for sure ASAP.
and if thats all good. im going to take a timing light to her (if i can get my hands on a buddys because im currently broke) lol

glad to hear it's fixed.

btw, all i needed as to connect one vacuum line(from that plug pictured to the Emissions purge thingy on the Firewall...)

My civic

Ok i got a 91 civic dohc ZC and im having the same problem. I checked timing and the firing order didnt change for no reason. If you could give me some more options of things to check that would be great.

Back