bad ass tank quad :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

No thanks. Other than flotation, they offer no advantage over tires, and even then, it can be argued that the flotation advantage is minimal and not worth the cost.

I saw so many of those in Canada. They look like so much fun!

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 24 2004, 09:10 PM
wrong they offer way more traction on snow and ice which is what there meant for
[post=381361]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:

There is an atv rental/towing company here in pismo that put tracks on one of their hummers to promote their dune-riding tours. The tracks get completely tore up by the sand. I'd stick with reg. tires, unless I was going deep into snow country. Unpacked fresh powder is a biatch.

The angle of approach makes it so you can't climb anything taller than 4". Which is substantially limiting.

However, for snow they cant' be beat. The setup costs $2500 for my truck, but all of my snow trails are also full of obstacles.

But if you're working a resort mountain or ski slope, then nothing beats the tracks. For trails you're boned.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 25 2004, 10:45 AM
The angle of approach makes it so you can't climb anything taller than 4". Which is substantially limiting.
[post=381527]Quoted post[/post]​

actually they should be able to "crawl" up things, like what real tanks do.

straight upwards traction on completely, possibly obtuse vertical surfaces ?

Spider man !

-> Steve

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Aug 25 2004, 05:07 PM
not obtuse or that high, i think the height can be like half of the "tank's" wheelbase.
[post=381769]Quoted post[/post]​

What are you tring to say

the height of a wall that a tracked car/vehicle can climb over would be just a little less then the length of the wheel base; ie. if that tracked atv had a wheel base of lets say 5 ft., it should be able to climb a wall that is about 2.5ft high.

ok not true but ya just like a vehicle with tires it will climb and object as high as the center of the veichle. the reason those guys are saying they wont work is the fact that they think it will hit a 6" object and get stuch they dont relize they flex and pivot and will climb up and over

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 25 2004, 10:35 PM
ok not true but ya just like a vehicle with tires it will climb and object as high as the center of the veichle.
[post=381906]Quoted post[/post]​

what do you mean not true???

heres a pic of what im trying to say
tank.jpg

i couldnt find the pic of a abram climbing a wall like i saw on cnn way back, but it went up like a 6 ft wall.

yes but a tank has i constant tread and a track truck dosen't so it would get high centerd on any object to high

i was thinking as long as you have part/set of tracks on the ground, and other like on top or on the wall off the object youre trying to go over, you can go over it(one set pushes the vehicle, other set pulls it up). take trial bikes for instance, they can get up anything they can get their front wheel on, but they also use a whole lot of weight transfer...

Back