bad-ass tv

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

we are getting a big screen when we move :) might have to buy that one lol

Im not sold on DLP yet, my bro just picked up an 42 inch Lg, and dont get me wrong it is nice, but no matter what you do, the blacks just are not very black. More like gray.

My .02

Originally posted by brc80@Aug 17 2005, 09:18 PM
Im not sold on DLP yet, my bro just picked up an 42 inch Lg, and dont get me wrong it is nice, but no matter what you do, the blacks just are not very black. More like gray.

My .02
[post=541542]Quoted post[/post]​

That's because he bought an LG! It's parent company is hyundi if that gives you a clue as to the quality.

That unit is very nice B. It's comparable to some plasmas. Plasma still owns it but it is areally nice unit for the price. I work at Tweeter an sell them all day long. Mitsubishi will be coming to the market with their 1080p b4 christmas, hopefully sooner. It's got some cool things like the intergrated HDD for DVR applications, firewire for the ol' camcorder, and media card slots for your digi cam. The only gay thing about the HDD is that you can (at this time) only record over the air broadcasts, due to programming and copyright bs.

i had a plasma. loved it.... when it worked.

i'm willing to sacrafice /some/ quality for reliability.

that, and ANYTHING is better than the 1986 goldstart 20" "cable ready" tv i have now. lol

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 11:48 PM
i had a plasma. loved it.... when it worked.

i'm willing to sacrafice /some/ quality for reliability.

that, and ANYTHING is better than the 1986 goldstart 20" "cable ready" tv i have now. lol
[post=541605]Quoted post[/post]​

Goldstar is also owned by LG. No wonder you want a new unit. You don't have to sacrafice any quality for reliability if you start by getting a performance unit to begin with.

I am by no means knocking DLP's. They are the shit compared to the old style projection CRT's. But for a couple of grand more you can have the same or simular sized plasma and it still be reliable. Your Dell wasn't because it's a computer company making the cheepest possible unit to try and get in on the "plasma craze." We have HP plasmas and they look like ass compared to the Pioneer Elite counter part. If you really liked the plasma and want to spend the cash do it. You won't be unhappy. You just have to make sure that you are getting a quality unit. Otherwise since your trying to save some cash get a nice DLP or Sony LCD unit. The last years Sonys are really nice for the money (1500-2k). Shit you many not even want a TV for when you get the new place you'll be working on it so much all you'll have time to do is eat sleep work and then work on the house.

Originally posted by n1mr0d+Aug 18 2005, 04:50 AM-->
@Aug 17 2005, 09:18 PM

My .02
[post=541542]Quoted post[/post]​

That's because he bought an LG! It's parent company is hyundi if that gives you a clue as to the quality.

[post=541581]Quoted post[/post]​

Hyundai is not LGs parent company, both are in Koreas top three companies. LG owns Zenith, Goldstar, and a few others. They launched a joint venture with Philips on a flat panel, but are not owned by fucking Hyundai.

On top of that, they do make a good TV. They are a pretty big company over here, and I have seen MANY LG's that have outstanding quality.

I have an Panasonic "Old school Crt Hdtv" (Holy fucking acronyms) and if you got the room, it will still provide you with the best picture hands down.

I am also looking for a new tv of considerable size. My only stipulation is it must be 50" or bigger. My beef with projection is your viewing angle. With a TV of that size I want to have nice color for everyone not jsut the few in the optimal view zone. You could say sit father back... But that why have a big screen. I enjoy the brain damage i recieve from sitting so close.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8Xak7nOawoe/c...50&I=13350PX500

now that is a nice tv. Although it does cost a nice chunk of change. I'm not sure what to do because I know in a year this won't cost anywhere near this amount. anyone research high def wall projection?

Originally posted by erikespo@Aug 19 2005, 09:31 PM
I am also looking for a new tv of considerable size. My only stipulation is it must be 50" or bigger. My beef with projection is your viewing angle. With a TV of that size I want to have nice color for everyone not jsut the few in the optimal view zone. You could say sit father back... But that why have a big screen. I enjoy the brain damage i recieve from sitting so close.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8Xak7nOawoe/c...50&I=13350PX500

now that is a nice tv. Although it does cost a nice chunk of change. I'm not sure what to do because I know in a year this won't cost anywhere near this amount. anyone research high def wall projection?
[post=542706]Quoted post[/post]​

I have to agree with you that the viewing angle on a crt rtv sucks.

I'm in the market for a TV and should have mine Monday. I have a good friend who is a professional A&V guy who is able to get me a TV at cost. Anywho I've spent a good bit of time dealing with researching TVs.

First off My take on LG coming from my friend. "2-3 years ago I would have never thought about buying an LG becuase they are cheap junk, however today they are now making some great Plasmas" He says that most TV companys all outsoure their TVs to be built in other countries and depending on the year the same company could have a 2005 TV built in such a such country then in 2006 they could end up moving everything to another country and the TVs either, in LGs case get good or in other companies cases they turn to shit. His own comptuer monitor is a HD 22" wide screen Mitsu monitor/TV that thing is the SHIT!!!! total badass monitor, however he wouldnt touch a new mitsu becuase of the company going to shit both cars and from what he's saying the monitor/tv side of things. They are going cheaper and cheaper and at this point in time he will not sale one due to having them returned none stop thanks to them not even working out of the box.

Then you have companies like Panasonic who will build the TV in a different place every year to whoever the cheapest bidder is. In other words you're rollling dice becuase 1 modal could kick ass and the same model of a different size could suck.

I had a DLP chip in my hands just today It's a really neat technology. Only problem is in order to get a really nice DLP chip you need to spend some big dollars and get the upper end TVs the DLP TVs that are priced in the LCD range tend to suck and have 1-2-3 dead pixles right out of the box.

Plasma TVs have a bad name for not working well becuase of people who buy shitty TVs if you spend the money on a good plamsa it will hold up for 20+ years.

I have a 50" Plasma at work that is on 12-14 hours a day none stop. we've never had a single issue with it. however it was $10K http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...6753527,00.html

If you spend less then $4500 on a 50" plasma TV, keep in mind you get what you pay for.

On another note, here's the TV I picked out. I was going to do plasma, but for $2000 less, I could have this TV that is very highly rated as a entery level TV and not TOO deep. Rear LCD Projection.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/c...code=WFROOGLEB3

i was looking at that sony too... that whole line actually..

i still don't know what the hell i want.... so i'm sitting on it, still browsing around.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 23 2005, 09:54 AM
i was looking at that sony too... that whole line actually..

i still don't know what the hell i want.... so i'm sitting on it, still browsing around.
[post=543998]Quoted post[/post]​

Heads up, Sony is bringing out the new model for that TV in about 1 month. I'm trying to pull up specs to see if it's worth waiting 1 month or buying it now.

have you seen DLP? old schhol projection blows ass...

the new ones, you can hardly tell the difference between them and plasma...

Back