Bad B18, good B20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fordman95

A few years back I hydrolocked my B18C1 and blew a hole out the side of the block. History behind this motor.... bought a 98 coupe that had a 99 GSR swap and OBD1 electronics and wiring. Car wouldn't pass inspection around here without being able to connect to OBD2. Motor blew, pulled it and sold the rest of the car. I could not tell you what was in this motor because I did not build it, but someone at some point spent an awful lot of money on it. I was told it was built as an all motor, but if I wanted to bolt on a turbo I would have been able to no problem. I had no problem shifting this thing at 10.5K all day long, and I could also run it against cobras and vettes if the weather was right. Blah blah long story short I bought a 93 hatchback to put it in. Before I could get a replacement block I lost my license and gave up. After a few years of dust, I still have the car and the blown motor with hopes of someday fixing it. Today I get a phone call letting me know I can have a good free B20Z2 and I can pick it up tomorrow. I guess the project is being resurrected.

I obviously want to have something as good if not better than what I had. I have the complete swap setup from the blown motor still. Have the JDM LSD tranny and to the best of my knowledge still works fine. Knowing how agressive the old motor was, do you think I will have clearance issues bolting the head to a B20 block? And in what order of importance would it be suggested I upgrade the lower end while maintaining a very tight budget?

Put the B20 motor in
Use the LSD trans you have

You could put the B20 bottom on the VTEC head but if budget is tight and you don't want it to blow up...
I say no to
B20/VTEC b/c building the B20 cheap still involves shot peen the rods, micro polish the crank, new bearing
that fit properly, new OEM VTEC pistons, ARP bolts for rods and head. Its expensive...period. Plus it wont last (in terms of DD)

The stock B20 motor with the VTEC trans will be pretty kick ass. But I dont think you can get that motor in
with the B20 Intake manifold. I think you need an LS intake manifold. If you have the header on the GSR motor.....
use it on the B20. It'll be pretty fast....mid-high 14's pretty easy.

I have the complete setup from the blown B18, header is still good, intake is still good. I have injectors, fuel rail...everything. My next thought was to swap the intake over and drop the motor in as is. Maybe in a month or two I could pull it and go through it the right way. My only concerns with that is the fact that this motor may or may not have had a rough life. It runs, but should be gone through. I may just bite the bullet and buy the parts for the lower end and ship it to the machine shop to be done right, I hate half-assing things.

The b18c1 intake will not bolt up to the b20 you need a b18b1 ls intake. A stock one will do fine but profesional products makes a good one as does blocks. Just the B20z and the lsd trans will be fun but do the B20/Vtec swap and you have a 200hp a$$ kicking motor. The weak point of a B20 is its sleeves are thinner than the B16 and B18s due to the 83mm bore. But treat it right and tuned well (Hondata, Hondata, Hondata) and you will have no problems.

hey please let me know if you want to get rid of the b18 stuff, im trying to build up my b18 before i drop it and it seems you have some stuff that would greatly help. currently in afghanistan and its hard for me to go to machine shops around the house to get the headwork done, so if you wana sell it let me know. would be much aprecheated!

Back