Bad Cat?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rabbi

Well here ya go...encountered a problem about a week ago where I cleaned underhood, and then the fun began. Took the 88 'lude out and it started to stumble...badly...everything before hand was good though.

Got about 2 miles and had a hard time actually getting anywhere...had to find a swwet spot in the throttle just to limp her home.

Thought it was running lean....did the fuel filter, plugs ( which looked bad anyway) and the 02 sensors.

Fired it up yesterday...ran well. UNTIL...it got up to operating tempature...then it began again, but not nearly as bad. THe only thing I can think of thats left is the Cat. That when I heated it up last time ( it was RED HOT) that I wrecked it internally.

I let it sit for 30 minutes last night, and fired it up again...no problems, so this only occurs when it reaches Op Tempature.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I figured I'd rod out the cat to see what happens and go from there...

ALSO....my water level seems to be constantly low...it is not leaking from the Radiator, or the upper or lower hose, and the water is not going out the exhuast, like a head gasket problem, nor is it in the oil.

Could there be a little hose comming of the water jacket that can't be seen that goes all of the time on these things?

Yeah I'm a honda rookie...:D how about a hand from the old pro's?!

It almost sounds like a head gasket except for the red hot cat thing. Drop one side of the exhaust and look into the cat, if its all clogged up its shot. If you can see thru it I would prolly try something else.

Check the TPS, it also sounds like that could be a problem.

It almost sounds like a head gasket except for the red hot cat thing. Drop one side of the exhaust and look into the cat, if its all clogged up its shot. If you can see thru it I would prolly try something else.

Check the TPS, it also sounds like that could be a problem.

I thought gasket, but there are none of the normal signs of it...no white exhuast, no oil in water or vise versa...

where would I find the TPS? should I have to go down that avenue?

Its on the TB. There is a way to test the voltage on it, I'm just not sure of the method. Someone else can chime in on that :)

if it ran ok before the car wash and not after.... did you leve the car running when you washed out the engine bay?????

Back