Bad Dizzy? Wont rev over 4k in 4th or 5th

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

95EGCoupeVtec

SOHC VTEC at its best
yeah so i got my bro's SI tranny in his EF today. well after he gets home he told me his car wouldn't rev over 4k in 4th or 5th gear. idling, neutral, and in 1st-3rd it will. this is on a d15b2 dual point just to let u know. he said it has done this a few times before but it would do it in 1st and it would stop around 3k - 3.5k. i'm thinking it might be a bad dizzy. he said its like the car just stops at that rpm and sits there. it won't go past that rpm but its not like its bouncing off the limiter or anything like that. i've never had a problem with a dizzy before. HELP!! lol. its not a fuel issue, at least i don't think. he said whether he pinned the throttle to the floor or just had it part-way down it would just sit there at that rpm. If we go get one at a salvage yard, does it have to be a dual point dizzy or can it come off of anything obd0 thats a civic?

sounds like the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) more than a distributor problem, especially since you just changed the tranny out.

When I had my exhaust all fucked up, it could be an issue with clogging. Does the car fall on its face when he cant hit high rpm and take his foot off the gas? Just throwin' ideas.

nah its not the vss, it didn't work in the other tranny, the cable has come loose from the cluster somehow. and heh has 2.5" exhaust from the header all the way out the back of the car so that's not it either. i'm not sure as to how the vss would make the car not go over a certain rpm in just 2 gears. even when he had the other tranny in there it went fine with the vss not working. anyone else?

well idk how to pull codes on a obd0 car lol. i know i'm a n00b. i don't know if it is or not. i'll try and hunt on how to pull the codes. if not, we are headed to the salvage yard for a $15 dizzy!!

Pull the carpet back in the passenger foot well, youll see the ECU cover plate, turn the key on, and watch for the flashing red LED in the ECU, if there is any codes present it will flash in morse code. Short is one, and long is ten, so for instance four long blinks and two shorts would be a 42.

ok so i pulled the codes and this is what it did:
as soon as he turned the key to on it flashed 1 short time then it flashed 1 long time. then it flashed 10 short times, a pause, then 14 short times?

Can you post a vid. That doesnt sound right, and if its flashing that many codes there are a few present but you may not be reading them correctly, it can be confusing.

yeah, it will never flash more than 9 short times (as it will simply add 1 long to the front for tens)

:confused: I dont know what to tell you, it shouldnt be flashing more than 9 shorts like B said and it is clearly 1 short 10 short 14 short. Do you have another ECU you can try?

no i don't lol. i wonder wtf it could be lol. i thought i was crazy seeing it flashing that many times. could it just be the dizzy? lol at us singing adam sandler's "piece of shit car" lol.

idk if the ecu would be bad bc it cranks and runs and all that, just throws the wierd ass codes lol and won't rev over that rpm while in gear. a buddy of mine had a Nissan Sentra Spec-V and his ECU went out and his car wouldn't rev over 2.5k rpms lol and threw like 125 codes!!! so idk maybe part of it is bad? anyway, i know this is off topic, but where is the fuel relay at? sometimes the car will die right after u crank it, but then it will be ok after u start it again. it hasn't done this in a while tho. i thought the relay might be bad.

Last edited:
Right up above the hood release mounted to the body with a 10mm bolt, black box with 7 or 8 wires going to it.

Back