bad head gasket?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

600ryda

i just rebuilt my motor and im about to hit 1500 miles on this thing. i originally had a lil seepage coming out of the one corner but sealed up good. well just today i noticed that behind the ps pump bracket it is leaking pretty decently. i know this leak wasnt there the enitre time becuz ive been inspecting my motlor thoroughly quite often. wat would cause it to leak suddenly and so badly? look like im getting a new gasket wtf!

did you deck head and block when you did the rebuild? If you didnt, well thats were your problem is.

If you did, did you torque the head down correctly?

did you clean both head and block(mating surfaces) with alcohol before you installed head gasket?

i did check head and block did torque everything down correctly did clean surfaces but not with alcohol with brakleen on a rag. funny thing is i watched oil drip off bottom of block then took ps bracket off front of block to get better view nothing was leaking anywhere? sprayed everything down with brakleen drove around for 15 min no oil anywhere wtf? weird! im just gonna keep a close eye on it.

i did check head and block did torque everything down correctly did clean surfaces but not with alcohol with brakleen on a rag. funny thing is i watched oil drip off bottom of block then took ps bracket off front of block to get better view nothing was leaking anywhere? sprayed everything down with brakleen drove around for 15 min no oil anywhere wtf? weird! im just gonna keep a close eye on it.
are you sure its not power steering fluid?

could be pwer steering fluid, mine was leaking bout where urs was but it was oil coming from valve cover gasket... (stupid new gasket leaks an old one didnt... strange lol)

more weirdness. this morning i start car and let it warm up b4 work cheeck b4 i drive and its leaking again. when i get to work i check again and it looks like it isnt leaking as badly if at all. seems like wen the motor gets hot it stops? wtf? its definitely not the valve cover my motor is fairly clean i just put it in and this fortunately makes it easy to pinpoint the problem. it is coming from the head gasket for sure! wat would cause the gasket to fail so close after install any idea? i built my motor myself and know everything was done properly. the block and head were both decked. i went over the torque a good three times just to be positive. im not uinderstanding why this would happen and all of a sudden after it seemed likke the gasket seated properly?

what brand of torque wrench did you use? and i hope its not a needle type. i use a half inch drive snap on and i keep it in the box it came with and its in its own foam padded drawer that all my sensitive tools live in. dropping or banging around your torque wrnch is not good for it. it will lose its calibration. you could have slightly stretched head bolts too. i use new head bolts every time. i also only use honda head gaskets from the dealer. its un likely but did you get the machine work on monday? maybe the machinist was hung over or somethin and he screwed up?

dang that would suck bad rick.. i just got mine fixed bro and i used a metal head gasket and it leaked too.. i changed the head gasket to a different material type, works fine now .. dunno man hope its nothin too serious..

dang that would suck bad rick.. i just got mine fixed bro and i used a metal head gasket and it leaked too.. i changed the head gasket to a different material type, works fine now .. dunno man hope its nothin too serious..
yeah metal head gaskets should only be used when needed for high compression, super charged engines, turbo engines, and nitrous engines. what kind did you use? cometic MLS, or SCE? i know there are many more but those are the only two i trust when i need em for a build. also any time you have a stepped deck too, but thats usually for a seriously built engine that has sleeves. i prefer dry sleeves and dartons are good. as far as the honda head gaskets for reliability-theres no substitute IMO. customers like to see that too. but really i just dont want to warranty any work over 30 bucks saved for a cheap gasket. LOL :)

Last edited:
yeah metal head gaskets should only be used when needed for high compression, super charged engines, turbo engines, and nitrous engines. what kind did you use? cometic MLS, or SAE? i know there are many more but those are the only two i trust when i need em for a build. also any time you have a stepped deck too, but thats usually for a seriously built engine that has sleeves. i prefer dry sleeves and dartons are good. as far as the honda head gaskets for reliability-theres no substitute IMO. customers like to see that too. but really i just dont want to warranty any work over 30 bucks saved for a cheap gasket. LOL :)

lol i think it was graphite maybe or i think that what i used it was definatley thicker thatn the metal ones

lol i think it was graphite maybe or i think that what i used it was definatley thicker thatn the metal ones
the metal ones are available in different thicknesses. in germany there are people using head gaskets that are like 0.140 inches thick and so forth. where as we like a head gasket around 0.040 inches on average. the guys in germany want lower compression for turbos without changing pistons or connecting rods. although, oem connecting rods can only handle a little boost before they break as we all know

the metal ones are available in different thicknesses. in germany there are people using head gaskets that are like 0.140 inches thick and so forth. where as we like a head gasket around 0.040 inches on average. the guys in germany want lower compression for turbos without changing pistons or connecting rods. although, oem connecting rods can only handle a little boost before they break as we all know

true that .. tlkn bout booost i know its off the subject but do u think its safe to run 9si on stock engine? i didnt wanna make new post for this didnt think it was that important just was on my mind lol

i used a snap on torque wrench, i too keep mine in the box in a drawer with all my other tools in cases. i used a fel pro multilayer metal gasket. either way why would it not leak all the time and only on cold start up? as far as the bolts i got arp stud kit so that aint the problem. guess im just gonna have to buy oem one and swap it out. do u guys use that copper spray bullshit when u install ur headgaskets? pertaining to something totally different have u ever heard of forged pistons making noise? my motor is quite noisy but went over the valve lash perfect, and it aint bearing noise. local tuning shop told me it sounded like piston slap and was common with forged pistons? thoughts?

the piston slap is heard of but IDK if its common. my engines dont do that.
your head expands as it gets hot and closes the gap in the uneven surfaces as it does so. you got warpage bro or your head gasket isnt honda brand from the dealer. or both. you got good tools and arp is the best...if the studs were new when you put the head on this last time then its not the bolts but the head or gasket or deck. the arps should be checked for stretching but i doubt it. you should be able to use them again. or you can replace them fr oeice of mind. check the head and deck again for warpage. have a machine shop do it so you know its good. assuming your machine shop is a quality one

my head gasket isnt honda brand its fel pro. u think hat would do it? i had block decked and the head got shaved too. and the motor runs fine everytime ive had issues with warpage the motor always had other problems thats why i wasnt thinking that it could be that. but more and more i think about it im not sure. and if it is off im screwed i cant go after the machine shop cvuz i did the work huh.

depends on the machine shop. i use felpro gasket kits for rebuilds but i trash the head gasket and use a honda one. its cheaper that way. you should have the machine shop do their thing. with the parts youre going to use they should be able to offer a warranty. my machine shop does but they know i dont cut corners so i get full warranties on their work. ask your machine shop about their warranty

Back