bad IACV?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid51

I've been driving an 89 prelude/euro r h22 for the past seven years without a problem, till now anyway.

I'm throwing a 14 (IACV) with rpm fluctuations between 1200 and 1800 rpm. With the IACV disconnected I get no change. I figured the FITV could also be the culprit, but the cel points to the IACV, so I'm not sure which route to take. A bad FITV would be nice for sure (much cheaper), but I'm not dropping any cash till I have a better idea of what it might be.

The rpm fluctuations are harsh too. If I'm in gear around that rpm the car rocks violently when it happens. Also, there's another symptom when I decelerate. If I'm accelerating it's ok. But as soon as I ease up on the throttle slightly, just at the coasting point, it's as if I've pulled my foot completely off the pedal; full deceleration.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it greatly. I've been putting up with it for a month or so now, but my clutch master cylinder going bad gave me some motivation to fix this crap too :p

Back