Bad starter noise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B18aCRX

I think that I have posted this here a long time ago, but here goes again:

My starter inconsistantly makes a hideous noise when I go to start my car. I think that the starter is spinning before it gets to the flywheel, so it hits it going full speed and makes a horrible grinding noise.

The engine is a B18a and it has been in my rex for almost 2 years and it has been making this noise on and off the whole time.

When I put the engine in, i put in a JUN lightweight flywheel. Since then, I have replace the battery once and starter twice.

Does anyone have any possible solutions? thanks for the help

Well... SHIT

So I can use a JDM B16a starter? Or will any JDM B-series starters work? And does anyone have any idea on where to find one?

thanks

Well I went to a local shop today, who had a JDM B16 starter. I put my starter next to it on the bench and there was no noticable difference except the tip of the JDM starter gear was about 3/4" longer. That exteneded part did not have teeth on it, but it was the center of the shaft was just extended beyond the teeth. Also the teeth were all the same height and there were the same number on both starters.

Is there some other difference that I am missing?

I am getting tired of looking like an ass when I can't get my car started. <_<

i have the same problem, i was told to check the teeth on my fly wheel. have you checked you7r starter 2 see if the teeth are slightly chipped?

It's the third starter I've had in there in the last 6 months or so. The teeth are in good shape, because this last one is about a month old. The flywheel itself is getting messed up every time the starter grinds into it. It doesn't have any broken teeth yet, from what i can see, but the flat surface is beginning to look bad.

Back