1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Tranny or Clutch?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by fixed4 life, Oct 12, 2007.

1. fixed4 life

fixed4 life New Member

I have a 90 hatch with a Ls in it and am using a Ls tranny as well with it. Sometimes my car wont go into gear. It does it at cold start and while a have been driving it. It doesnt matter if the tranny is hot or cold. I have checked the clutch cable and checked/changed the tranny fluid. It comes and goes it while i am driving it will go in gear and shift smoothly and sometimes wont go in gear or shift rough. I have had a clutch gone out on me so I know its not that and it doesnt slip. Are these signs that my clutch is about to go out or would a bad throw out bearing do this? Or is my tranny about to give out on me? It never has kicked out any gears. Also when it wont go into gear I will start it in gear and the car will jerk until i get going then it will start shifting fine.

2. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

Sounds like a broken spring perch on your clutch disc.. it's pretty common with Honda clutches. Only way to tell for sure is to pull the tranny and inspect the clutch, but I would put money on that being the problem it's happened to me personally, and at work before.

Edit: what happens is a piece of metal, and sometimes the spring from the clutch disc also, will break off and it floats around in the clutch assy. As it moves around sometimes you can shift fine, and sometimes it binds up the clutch from releasing and you can't change gears...

3. fixed4 life

fixed4 life New Member

Thanks for the info i went ahead and ordered a new clutch set .

4. fixed4 life

fixed4 life New Member

I replaced my clutch today and when I removed the old one I found a piece of metal that broke off the clutch. It tore the clutch up and was floating around. Your were exactly right just thought i would let you know thanks again.

5. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

Good to hear I knew that had to be what was wrong.. glad I could help :D

6. riceburner89

riceburner89 Banned

yeah man. i had the same exact problem. annoying ass shit wouldnt go into gears........

i thought it could of been the hydrolic system so i bought new clutch master/slave.. didnt doit

when i replaced my clutch, apperently they found a broken piece too haha

7. nootrac22

nootrac22 Well-Known Member VIP

:fosho3:
    yep good info! +1 In the process of replacing clutch and flywheel for that exact reason.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted