Bad wheel bearing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

|Chaz|

VIP
When I'm driving down the road straight there's a noise, the noise increases if I increase my speed. If I turn right around a corner the noise also intensifies and there's a slight vibration. If I'm going straight and just swerve to the right, I hear the noise intensify, feel vibration, and I'm pretty sure it sounds like metal on metal.

It sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Its been getting worse the past 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure its a bad rear drivers side wheel bearing, if anyone else has any other suggestions, your opinions would be appreciated. I'd search but I'm posting from my phone and that would take forever.

Oh and how much is it go get repaired? Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks guys

take it to les schwab. they will check it for free.

could be a bearing, brake rotor, axle or the tranny. it's hard to shoot from the hip online without driving it.

Well I just finished changing it. Omg night and day difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Honda wheel bearings not re-packable? I remember being able to just re-pack them on my Camaro. Seems like it'd be a lot cheaper and easier for you next time if they are.

no there not repackable they are a sealed preassembled hub and front bearings are also a sealed bearing but it requires a press the remove and install them

Well I just finished changing it. Omg night and day difference.
Nice! Did you do it yourself? If so how big of a press did you need? I'm thinking about changing mine out.

I took mine to a mechanic to have pressed out/in. I have no hydraulic press at home.. Should probably look into getting one.

Shameless plug time..
If anyone needs a OEM Honda wheel bearing P/N 44300-S5A-008 I have a brand new one I'll sell you on the cheap. Ordered it for my car, ended up going with a different unit.

Effin Honda! why is everything rediculously difficult to fix on these damn things? 99sidude, I hope you're making some changes over there in R&D! Phyre, that won't fit my Si or you'd have a deal. Ill be needing one here shortly.

edit: Hey 99, when you pick up your bearings how about you throw a third front one on the order form. Ill pay for it if its worth the price break. :) I wouldn't want you to get in trouble though.

Last edited:
I didn't need a press. It wasn't the wheel bearing I changed, it was the hub. The thing the wheel connects to. All that holds it in is the wheel nut, that gigantic 32 mm one.

bearings

if its the wheel bearing you can fix it your self all you need to buy is the inner and outer bearings take out the old ones and pack the new ones with heavy grease and put them back in just like you took the old ones out

Ran my car up Mt Rainier a couple days ago. Handling is solid again (for a Civic). It was a fun drive.

Yea, I do. I'm going to have to get new tires come Spring, I've put a shit load of miles on my Falkens. By then I'll have gotten a year and like 4 months out of them. 30-40k out of them, not bad at all for the grip I get with them.

Back