bagging a 98 taco this weekend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so i'll be working on bagging a 98 tacoma extended cab 5 speed this weekend
wish me luck

overnighted the front brackets from fbi yesterday so they'll be here saturday by 12
got a fabricator working on the notches and 4 link
hopefully she'll be laying frame by monday

HELLS YEAH!!! post up progress pics on this because i wanna see. oh and if you need some pointers or anything, feel free to IM/PM me and i'll help ya as much as i can.

oh also, what kinda set-up did you end up getting for it?

well, my friend traded a truck he had $50 in for an AIM bag kit...
the kit was used on a silverado so you can imagine the difficulties we're having along the way
this is our first bag experience so we're learning as we go etc...

so, the front is getting the front ball joint flip, FBI bolt in brackets, and SLAM bags from FBI, overnighted so they should be here today
we had the silverado front cups, we were going to try and cut them to size, but after seeing the FBI bolt in's we went that route
friday we had them overnighted with saturday delivery...
so we finally get the brackets and are checking fitment when we realized the silverado bags are WAY too big to clear...
we never realized they had smaller bags for the fronts...
so we went to every heavy truck parts supplier in about a 2 hour drive looking for smaller bags...
needless to say we could not find any bags for heavy trucks, cab bags, seat bags, rv bags, air lift helper bags etc... none of them would work
so after 5 hours of searching on saturday we gave up...
we met some very very strange people though, and i must say, truck mechanics working on saturday were suprisingly helpful and took the time to show us the bags they did have and show us the application on trucks they had in the shop, but it was all for nothing...
TA - truck stop of america in maybrook was a scary scary place...
i thought i was gonna get gingivitis just talking to the guy

we gave up telling people what we wanted the bag for
upstate new york = airbags? to lower a truck? what ya wanna go and do dat fo?
so we just told them it was a "custom application"

yeah lot of people dont understand bagging a truck. a few things to know:

1. AIM sucks. dont ever buy from them. they are the APC of truck parts.
2. FBI aint a bad place to buy air ride stuff from. SuicideDoors.com is WAAAAY better. ask any minitrucker and they will agree.
3. your friend probably needs 2500lb bags for the front instead of 2600lbs. they arent as big around as a 2600. im running 2600s in the rear and the 2500s up front. your friend should too...its prettty much the "norm" thing to do.
4. you coulda made custom brackets if you were in a crunch...that is if you had the steel and fabrication knowledge to do so.
5. custom dont come in a box. cut+weld=custom

1. found out the hard way, but at least we didn't BUY from them
lol

2. FBI is the ONLY place i found with a bolt in front bracket for a taco
cando has a front bracket but its weld in...

3. bags were received this morning, FBI was very helpful with getting us the right stuff, 5 inch bags instead of the silverado's 6.5" bags, i think

4. we can do custom, but wanted the weight distributed properly on the upper spring perch...

we're learning :)

ok, so the front is all bagged up now
the only thing holding it back from laying out in the front is the large stock tires
we need to mount the front shock and cut the wheel well for clearance and she'll be layed out like a thanksgiving turkey...

he would like to get chrome 18's but money is an issue

he has some 5 lug falken 17's with a polished lip and gun metal spokes but the rims are hurt and def not what he's got in mind, but they may have to do for now...

i think these are the wheels he has laying around now
falken_circuit_spec_lg.jpg
http://www.1010tires.com/images/wheels/falken_circuit_spec_lg.jpg

Last edited:
This is not a honda truck... moving to other discussion

Back