Bagging my chebby - Proof of concept (Opinions?)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I have this 1982 Chevy one ton pickup. It's got 5 leafs in the back, "full set" up front (I think 7 leafs). Front and back it has longer shackles and 3" riser blocks, and currently rides on 42" tires.

So it's a big motherfucker. The tailgate swings down to my shoulder - making it utterly useless in New England.

Future plans:
Semi big-rig front bumper with incorporated headlights
phantom grille with nothing behind it.
small lightbar across the front of the roof
3" chop on the roof or ragtop conversion
diamond plate flatbed, shortened length with factory height rollbar (Above the chopped top)

Is there a way I can bag it to raise and lower +/- 12 inches ? That'll put the chassis about 6" to the ground when lowered. I don't want to interfere with the bed, and I have to replace the gas tanks anyway - so I can either get some moons or big-rig type external tanks. In lowering the suspension I hope to being the tailgate down to a useable height (Even to load motorcycles onto it)

Anyone, off hand, think this can be done ?

yes it can be done! in order for it to lay and NOT have your axle to hit (which is a problem you are will have if you dont), you will have to notch the rear of your frame so that your axle will have enough clearance so it dont smack the frame when you drop the rear. another thing to do, you will need to run a 4-link in the rear as well.with that big of a truck, i would probably run 2600lb bags all the way around. as far as your bed, you can get notch to cover up the notch in case you need to cut your bed in the area where your axle is. you can go to any Tractor Supply and buy steel trailer tubs and put those in. i hope that helps you out. any questions, let me or reckedracing know as we are the resident minitruckers :)

yes it can be done! in order for it to lay and NOT have your axle to hit (which is a problem you are will have if you dont), you will have to notch the rear of your frame so that your axle will have enough clearance so it dont smack the frame when you drop the rear. another thing to do, you will need to run a 4-link in the rear as well.with that big of a truck, i would probably run 2600lb bags all the way around. as far as your bed, you can get notch to cover up the notch in case you need to cut your bed in the area where your axle is. you can go to any Tractor Supply and buy steel trailer tubs and put those in. i hope that helps you out. any questions, let me or reckedracing know as we are the resident minitruckers :)

<Glassy eyed look>

Fuck. a 4 link ? Where would I source one / how much does the setup cost ? I priced this for the CRX and it wasn't pretty. Also, I don't think I would be able to tow anything / haul anything huge on a 4 link with a bag. What does a 2600lb bag look like / handle ? I have no point of reference.

suicidedoors.com is THE place to go to get stuff from. they are REALLY awesome to deal with. they know their shit and their parts they make are hardcore and top notch. they sell 4-links, air bag stuff...pretty much anything you need to bag your truck with. they have pics and prices of everything they sell on the site. hell call them up one day and ask anything regarding bagging. they have helped me a bit. hell ive ordered so much shit from them, i have them on speed dial on my cell phone...lol.

**edit** ive seen bagged and body dropped trucks tow/haul stuff before. they can handle it just fine :)

well 12 inch drop yeah, but can you get that much suspension travel out of it?

ps.. 12 inches of drop is freakin crazy.

as far as the suspension travel on my truck...nah. i get about the same as i did when i had the stock stuff on. maybe a little less actually. it all depends on what i have my bag pressure set at on the front and rear. i run about 50-60psi in each bag up front and 30-40psi in each bag out back.

it wasnt easy getting that 12" drop. basically i had to:
- install 4" rear axle flip kit
- install 3" drop blocks
- cut the frame and add an 8" notch for the axle to travel so it wouldnt hit the stock frame
- run a monoleaf leaf spring (i have a 4-link for it thats not installed)
- add air bags
- smaller height tires

thats basically what i did to get that 12" of drop on my truck.

yeah FBI is good but i buy all my shit from SuicideDoors.com. just as good if not better and they have awesome customer service.

as far as the suspension travel on my truck...nah. i get about the same as i did when i had the stock stuff on. maybe a little less actually. it all depends on what i have my bag pressure set at on the front and rear. i run about 50-60psi in each bag up front and 30-40psi in each bag out back.

it wasnt easy getting that 12" drop. basically i had to:
- install 4" rear axle flip kit
- install 3" drop blocks
- cut the frame and add an 8" notch for the axle to travel so it wouldnt hit the stock frame
- run a monoleaf leaf spring (i have a 4-link for it thats not installed)
- add air bags
- smaller height tires

thats basically what i did to get that 12" of drop on my truck.

I'm not seeing I beams.. don't tell me your truck is one of those back to the future style wheel fold out models..

oh that was for the rear that i posted. the front has 3" drop i-beams and bags :)

I have this 1982 Chevy one ton pickup. It's got 5 leafs in the back, "full set" up front (I think 7 leafs). Front and back it has longer shackles and 3" riser blocks, and currently rides on 42" tires.

So it's a big motherfucker. The tailgate swings down to my shoulder - making it utterly useless in New England.

Future plans:
Semi big-rig front bumper with incorporated headlights
phantom grille with nothing behind it.
small lightbar across the front of the roof
3" chop on the roof or ragtop conversion
diamond plate flatbed, shortened length with factory height rollbar (Above the chopped top)

Is there a way I can bag it to raise and lower +/- 12 inches ? That'll put the chassis about 6" to the ground when lowered. I don't want to interfere with the bed, and I have to replace the gas tanks anyway - so I can either get some moons or big-rig type external tanks. In lowering the suspension I hope to being the tailgate down to a useable height (Even to load motorcycles onto it)

Anyone, off hand, think this can be done ?

well if in read right you have blocks in the front thats a big no no get rid of those there illegal in most states for a reason, with 42" tires im assuming there super swamper tsls your not going to get it to low there to wide so you cant make them tuck and youll have to do some metal work for the,i dont the chassis being 6" off the ground is possible with a 42" tire at all unless you go to a smaller tire like a 35" but then when its lifted itll look kinda retarded, i think its cheaper and easier to get a lil trailer and a drop hitch to tow bikes and load things

Better than all of the above, get ahold of a U-Haul ramp, and build the bed to accept it. Forget all the suspension stuff. Done.

Shop around, I got "Billy Bob", a truck exactly like this one, dually and all, but white:
new20bed2.jpg

For 200 bucks. I took the motor/trans out and sold the shell for 200 bucks. Got a free 350 4 bolt main and a turbo 400 trans out of it.

Come to think of it, I still have the motor and trans in my shop, I never used it.

I was saying I wanted to see pics of Cels truck, trucks and SUVs with 33in+ tires always has my intrest.:D

I have a Jeep in the driveway that fits the bill...

But my camera is in some hotel in New Mexico

*edit*
Myspace ftw:
l_03b9a133305f6815716fa9673ea90ab0.jpg

/threadjack

Last edited:
Back