balancing rods and pistons... help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohsosikcivic

Hot mess
i have eagle rods... weisco pistons. should i have these balanced before installing them? brand new out of the box... for a LS/Vtec

opinions? is it that big of a deal?

have you ever balanced any of the motors that you've built... like the motor ur have now. is it balanced? a friends telling me i should. what would be the advantage?

hes making me nervous aboutit

My motor is stock, I havent "built" a motor. My friend Jason has a 450ish hp LS/VTEC, he is using CP pistons and Eagle rods and he just put them in an ran it, its been 6 months of abuse and he hasnt had any trouble. They are already so close in weight to not cause a problem.

If they're balance you don't have to do anything with them. :)

Definite balance them(just put each assembly on the scale and make sure they're like within <2g of each other. Usually the parts are already within 1g of each other so it shouldn't be an issue; but never hurts to check.

and you cant just throw whem in your motor how about things like checking clearance and blu printing your going to need a good set of OD and ID micrometers or have a reputiable shop build the motor for you

I had my clutch and flywheel, crank pulley (even though I opted for a Fluidampr), crank, pistons w/wrist pins, rods w/ARP bolts, rings and bearings all balanced by my machinist. It's never a bad idea especially if you're going with mix-matching aftermarket part manufacturers to have them balanced.

you should not have to ballance your rods or pistons. they are aftermarket from well know manufactures im sure they are allready well ballanced. if you plan on running high rpm I would strongly consider having you engine (set up) and all ballanced. You don't ballance just your rods and pistons. won't do any good. they are allready good. They will blueprint everything (crank w/ rods and pistons, flywheel, cluth....) together. Doing this allows you to run much higher rpm. if you don't you can run high hp and be fine, just don't expect to run high rpm much higher than stock. YOu will allso need a good set of cam (stage2) and dual valve springs to prevent valve float. If you don't wanna run high rpm. Your fine just plastic guage it all and torqe it to spec. Your good to goooooooo.

Even though the rods and pistons are from "well known manufactures" doesnt mean they're "already good".

I think that at the minimum having the rods and pistons ballanced as a pair would be the minimum that should be done. IE (rod+piston = x weight)x4

I have the same internals in my B18a. weisco pistons and eagle rods. the rods and pistons were fine. my main point is that if your gonna worry about that why not worry about the whole engine. especially if u spending that kind of money allready. check to see if the rods and pistons are marked from the manufactures. if the rods and pistons are allready ballanced then no mater how light or heavier they are from stock as long as they are ballanced should not affect the ballance of the crank because they counter ballance themselves. I would definately check the crank though because you can allways get that better. I strtongly doubt any adjustment will be made to rods and pistons.

Back