1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bare ITR head

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by jamesA, Nov 6, 2005.

1. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Brian (BDN) got me to thinking earlier tonight. He told me I should get an ITR head and build it with the GSR cams I just bought, new retainers and springs, and a stronger than stock 2layer gasket (I'd go one layer, but how much does that raise compression? Since I wanna boost, I don't want that). I had actually thought about this before he even brought it up.

Anyway, if I were to entertain this idea... How much would a bone stock, completely bare ITR head run? and would the factory Porting be worth my time? Cause if it's going to cost a shitload I might as well just get a bare plain B16a head and port that.

I found one for sale on Honda-tech for 1400... I really hope that's a built, fully assembled head though...

For those of you who don't know, I'm doing basic bolt ons (i/h/e), GSR cams/gears and a JRSC at 6 psi Until the bottom end can get forged internals.

Suggestions Please.

PS I have been reading Ians thread also: PnP GSR head thread.

2. hotrex

hotrex Senior Member

i had a stock b16a head fully worked by portflow for 1200

including rev stainless oversize valves and bronze valve guides,

itr head is not worth it,

3. jamesA

What do you mean "fully worked"? I want a basic PnP with port matching. Would that shit be 1200? Oh and I'll be using stock valves with some aftermarket retainers/springs, probably from IB Spec.

4. hotrex

hotrex Senior Member

it would be cheaper.

they did a deburring of the chambers, port and polish, valve job and oversize valves, bronze vlve guides, the whoe 9 yards for 1200.

port and polish would prob be like 450

5. jamesA

ah alright cool. I really don't need to completely rework the head, just a mild PnP, aftermarket springs/retainers and GSR cams are all I really want.

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

Ya, I wouldn't look for an ITR head, just work the B16 head you have.

7. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

gsr head is by far the better designed head, hands down.

8. jamesA

Well that doesn't make any sense to me then. Cause Cal and E have posted flow charts comparing the normal B16a to the B18c and while they both have certain strong points it's all negligable in difference.

Is the factory porting really THAT bad that it wouldn't make any difference between the three different (b16a, b18c, b16a ported) heads?

9. hotrex

hotrex Senior Member

just work with what you have, the differences are so minimal, who cares honestly.

10. jamesA

I care, because I'd like to know. So I'm asking. Even if it helps me save money, I'd like to know. :)

11. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

hes not really talking about flow charateristics, but more compression. given the same work but into them, the gsr head will make more power.

12. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

the flow characteristics of a gsr head are WAAAAAY better that that of the pr3 series heads.
    1) Better casting makes for an already better head to work with.
    2) The port dimensions and angles on the p72 are much more suitable for allowing air in an out of the chamber than those on the pr3.
    3) You already mentioned the quench pads are eliminated, adding compression. But also realize that the elimination of the quench pads also results in smoother flow of the air as it is rounding that curve into the chamber through the valves.
    It's just a much better head. It was a later design than the pr3 head, it was a better cast head, it was just better. In all honesty, I think the pr3 head was used on the ITR because it was cheaper to produce, and met the power requirements. The pnp job from the factory isn't THAT great. Look at an RLZ cnc'd port job, and you'll notice an immediate difference. The gsr head is also a better head to work with if you are going to mod it, because of superior casting and thicker surfaces you get to work with when grinding away at it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted