basic build up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

ok well since drew is selling those d15bs so cheap i may grab one. i was originaly going to put one in my 93 hatch and boost but instead i got a gsr(that will be boosted). now what im thnkin i may do with the d is build it all motor for a fun daily(mostlikely an 88-91 hatch)im not lookin for much maybe 150ish, but i want it to be strong. so what are my options as far as pistons, camsshit like that. ive read something about zc low comp pistons but do they make hi ones? also if my memory serves corectly on a mini me you can use a thicker? gaskit to raise comp can you do the same wth a d15b? thanks for the help

a d15b is already vtec. you can't make it a mini me in all intents and purposes.

thicker gasket = lower compression
thinner = higher

if you want to hit 150 hp... its going to be tough.
cams, i dont think anyone makes 3-stage vtec cams.
pistons, zc's are 1.6, not 1.5. off the top of my head, im not sure if the bores are the same- they probably are though. in our reference section, there are compression calculator links. go to the d-series one and play with some combos.

PhyRe- you're talking about the regular 2-stage d15b, right? Or do you mean the '96+ 3-stage joint? I'm pretty sure Drew only deals in the regular 2-stage types (z1/z6) so I'm assuming you're talking about that one...

a lot of guys get a y8 headgasket (96+ ex/sol si) and take the middle layer out to make it thinner. Not a big increase, but good for fine tuning compression. You can also use the crower/zex/etc cams for the z6- its the same head.
all the same bolt ons work for the d15b and z6- cai/header/etc
p/p head, ported intake mani, bigger tb, you've got alot of options

BUT if you're going to go thru all that, you might as well get a vx bottom end (you can get them for dirt cheap- free sometimes), change pistons which you want to do anyways, get a z6 head, aftermarket stage 2/3 cam, etc etc

ORR... you and I could go in and split a d15b cause it kinda sounds like we want all opposite parts of each other B)

thicker gasket = lower compression
thinner = higher

yeah i was a lil backwards on that but the mini me coment was just an examply of what i was getting at.
ok let me rephrase what i want this to be. i want a d15b that is semi built up just so i have a lil more umph to it. mybe 150 is a lil high but i was thinkin that if yopu raise comp like a mini me where its in the 12s you could do that with a stock vtec too.
this is were i got that idea: take a dx bottom then slap on a ex head with correct gasket and boom you went from 102ish to 125ish that about 20hp difference thats why i thought it would be pos it bump that stock comp of 9.6:1 to the mini me comp of 12+:1.
am i right to think this. or am i just makin shit up?

You're on the right track. It's really not that hard to even make 150whp on the all motor D- you just have to pick the right parts. It might be easier for you to go with a D16 bottom end, since you'll have stronger rods and more OEM pistons to choose from. The extra displacement will help you make more power too.

why make a d series all motor....seems like a real waste all that cash for nothing.....the only way to make close to seriouse power from a d is FI.....

get the d15b, buy a d16y8 intake manifold and match that to a b18 throttle body, get a header like bisi or something that has been proven to make a lot of hp. have a nice ecu program and tuning time and i think you could get to your goal.

i watched a d15b put down 132 at the wheels with intake, header, and exhaust and also with a chipped ecu.

why make a d series all motor you ask? because people basically give the parts away and aftermarket parts are also cheap because of lack of demand.

yeah...... but the parts make close too no power......dont get me wrong i am in the middle of a d series project...but i am spending alot less money to have maybe a little more power.....and thats just to give the car some passing power...... i would only go w/ a nos or turbo when it comes to a d....my2c

Let's not turn this into another all motor vs boost thread... stay on topic. If you're not able to get any significant power increases from D series all motor parts, you're doing something wrong. There's a lot of potential in the D.

there is alot of potential....i guess....i just think it takes more money....

Nope. I was going to be complete for under $1000 on my CRX, and that would have included a brand new cam and valvetrain from Crower. You can do it on the cheap.

when i get my project motor/trans done and in the car in the spring i'm planning on doing a full tech write up and budget breakdown. You'd be shocked at how little I've spent so far and how close it is to being done

Ya, don't be a hater on hondas d student, just cuz it doesn't have as much pontenial as the b student. I too am thinking of beefing up my daily with some zc pistons and a new vavle train for some extra passing power.

why make a d series all motor you ask? because people basically give the parts away and aftermarket parts are also cheap because of lack of demand.

this is one of my reasons. plus a friend and i are going to do a turbo d in a 1st gen crx come summer so i just want something small with a lil get up and go

you just have to pick the right parts
think you could point me in the right direction for the right ones

Back