basic maintanence

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psi

I got some questions about these additives that you see in Walmart, Autozone and some of these other places that carry car stuff. I picked up a bottle of the Lucas Fuel Treatment. Now, is a additive like that going to really help my car run smoother? Do the products damaging the fuel injectors or anything? Is there a big difference between the different brands like SeaFoam, Valvoline, Lucas, ect.? It says that it helps clean the injectors, combustion chamber, ect.

I've been also recommended to add the Lucas Oil Stabilizer after I do a oil change also. And I do use Mobil1 10w-30(synthetic) when I do my oil change and the X2 from Fram. I know this might be a silly question for some but I'm particular in wanting to do the best for both my Honda's.

Any personal recommendations of different products would be welcomed also.

psi

So far here is a list of good product recommendations from several ppl I know in my area.
Lucas
SeaFoam
Royal Purple - motor oil
Valvoline - motor oil
Mobil1 - motor oil
K&N/AEM Air Filters

Anything else I missed? Maybe we should have poll posted for what are the preferred products of most of the users in the forum?

Oil additives..Don't. You don't really know whats in them.
Fuel system.. A little injector cleaner every once and a while doesn't hurt.
Oil. I talked to a refinery rep when the oil changed to a lighter color a few years ago. Some companys call this pure base. It comes from a change in the refining process that elliminates more impurities. The rep said that this new oil performs very close to synthetic. Castrol GTS is one of these, so thats what I use.

Hello psi! Can you tell us a bit about your Hondas..... years, mileage, mods etc... ? And where are you located? Are you a city or a country driver?

For instance, on a new or young engine, a synthetic motor oil is okay, whereas on a high mileage older engine, regular dino oil is preferable. If you have a long commute and need to change your oil more frequently, why bother with oil stabilizers? Do you drive aggressively at all? Autocross?

Anyway, speaking for myself. I use Castrol GTX motor oil, Honda MTF and last summer for the first time Honda Top End cleaner on two of them. I am very happy with Honda oil filters. I found a dealership with old stock in them too (the fatty ones)! I use Honda oem air filters in the hatches. The sedan has a customized K&N filter. My cars all have high mileage on them. I am an aggressive city driver but also do long road trips frequently.

for oil i run castrol syntec. period i have yet to see oil breakdown and they were one of the fist out on the market so to me that means thay have been doing rd for much longer

i always use fram oil filters, pennzoil oil, K and N filters, Honda MTF, prestone antifreeze w/distilled water, and water wetter(works great, I actually saw a difference in temperatures on the temperature gauge)
Ive used STP fuel system cleaner, and it sucks, I never notice a difference, but SEA FOAM works GREAT!!!!

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Dec 25 2004, 10:51 AM
Hello psi! Can you tell us a bit about your Hondas..... years, mileage, mods etc... ? And where are you located? Are you a city or a country driver?

For instance, on a new or young engine, a synthetic motor oil is okay, whereas on a high mileage older engine, regular dino oil is preferable. If you have a long commute and need to change your oil more frequently, why bother with oil stabilizers? Do you drive aggressively at all? Autocross?

Anyway, speaking for myself. I use Castrol GTX motor oil, Honda MTF and last summer for the first time Honda Top End cleaner on two of them. I am very happy with Honda oil filters. I found a dealership with old stock in them too (the fatty ones)! I use Honda oem air filters in the hatches. The sedan has a customized K&N filter. My cars all have high mileage on them. I am an aggressive city driver but also do long road trips frequently.
[post=437042]Quoted post[/post]​

As for myself, I am aggressive only when I'm aggitated or running late to get somewhere. Other than that, I pretty much baby both my cars.
Red GS-R 92
Silver Civic Hatch DX w/b16 swap

My GS-R get getting 108k miles and my Civic is getting close to 289k but that odometer doesn't match with the engine since the swap. I've always used Mobil1 Synthetic for both my cars and the Fram X2(extended filters). Both of them have K&N air filters. I always thought the synthetic oils were better than the conventional oils. So, where did you hear that conventional is better for higher mileage cars?

I saw on the Speed channel that they were doing a demo for a additive for the motor that they said gave their engine a 9 hp increase. I can't remember the name of it. It was something like "x something additive". It was a supposed claim that it gave the engine a effective 5% increase in horsepower. I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a additive or is it just a gimmick to get ppl to buy more of that product?
psi

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Dec 25 2004, 11:11 PM
i always use fram oil filters, pennzoil oil, K and N filters, Honda MTF, prestone antifreeze w/distilled water, and water wetter(works great, I actually saw a difference in temperatures on the temperature gauge)
Ive used STP fuel system cleaner, and it sucks, I never notice a difference, but SEA FOAM works GREAT!!!!
[post=437305]Quoted post[/post]​

any "magic" power adders are crap
some of the best additives out there are BG products, do not use MOA when running syn oil

for inj and valve cleaning Wynn V.I.C. (valve, inj, comb cham) works wonders

Originally posted by lswhitecivic@Dec 25 2004, 11:25 AM
The best additive for cleaning out carbon deposits and the fuel system is BG 44k.

Ben
[post=437082]Quoted post[/post]​

I wholeheartedly second this. Expensive, but well worth it.

It depends what car it's for on my carb's Prelude, I'll just usethe cheapest oil/filter/air because it's my beater and I won't spend much on it.

As for the swapped civic I use mobil 1, honda oil filter, some cheap air filter that I had on my saturn (but it works well, a k&n would be nice but I can stick with my cheapo one for now), I use redline MTF (this is some good stuff, I haven't really had much experience with it on hondas but on the porsche it worked wonders). I plan on running some seafoam through the LS just too see what kind of difference it makes.

On the white stock beater civic, I use the cheap shit also. I don't feel the old Vx engine needs attention like that, It was meticulously maintained till that last few months the guy had it, it was alsways serviced at a Honda Dealer. I personally think if he had the passion to change the o2 sensor and the other tune up parts at this interval he never woulda sold it. Cause I still have yet to do it, the timing is off a bit, and the cat collapsed as well as needing a new o2 sensor. I plan on using my old DX mani and forgetting about running with a cat.

me, i use mobil 1 oil, and bosch oil filter. i would rather use amsoil, but too expensive since its for a d15b :)

amsoil 0w30 formula 2000 pure synthetic, OEM oil filter, typeR OEM plugs...amsoil is the best hands down...seafoam is the only thing i would recomend to clean the engine

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Dec 25 2004, 10:51 AM
For instance, on a new or young engine, a synthetic motor oil is okay, whereas on a high mileage older engine, regular dino oil is preferable.
[post=437042]Quoted post[/post]​

I always have been told that synthetic is better for older engines since it sticks better to parts that are broken and worn in. I use Mobile 1 oil and Napa Gold oil filters since they are made by Wix and are compareable to K&N oil filter's but cheaper. I use and recommend Seafoam to clean out my injectors.

Back