Battery Dies Every Day

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

buggaboo99355

hi everyone,
i have a 1992 honda accord lx a/t

every day i have to jump start the car and it starts fine. after i drive it around and turn it off it starts up fine like the battery is full. but if i leave it alone over the night the battery is so dead the interior lights dont even light up. and the battery is good because i tried it out in a pickup truck for a couple of days and had no problems.
i dont know what could be using power from the battery. PLEASE HELP

It's fairly obvious that you have something draining the battery. Now, When the battery dies, do you drive it for more than 30 minutes? If not, that could be why you still have a problem. When a battery dies, and you jump start it, it needs to be recharged by the alternator for at least 30 minutes to be back to normal.

Make sure you dont have your dome light left on, no interior lights are staying on at all. You may have a power wire somewhere grounding out on the body. Check all your wires.

Had that experience once. Found out that one or a few rectifier diodes in the alternator were shorted, thereby drawing power from the battery. When this happens it only takes less than half a day to drain out the batt. One simple check is when the engine is cold, the alternator should feel warm assuming there is still power drawn from the batt.

i am not sure if i drive it for at least 30 mins but i do drive for about 20 mins. do you think it is my radio or amp? if so what can i use to check if it is draining power while the car is in the off postion?

as punisher said. if your alternator is the culprite, it will feel warm after the car has been off about 3 hours. if thats the case you have your answer. aside from that id check for shorts in your wiring

pull the fuse on your system. theres a good chance it was wired to constant instead of accessory power or something

The alt is cold. but when i turn off the car the radio turns off and all the amp lights go off too. i am just trying to avoid having to pull the radio for the 100th time just to pull the fuse but i will try if nothing else helps.

there should be a fuse on your amp. And it sound slike you have a power wire somewhere grounding out and sending all your power through the chasis. Take it to autozone and tell them to check out your battery and alternator. They do it for free.

if it is one of those tester things with the knob in the middle, a screen at the top, and a pos and neg wire, then yes i do.

Back