1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Draining

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Masta, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Masta

Masta Member

what could cause a battery to drain while the car is off with nothing on. Like.....the car jump starts fine, and the battery goes to 12-14 volts, then when u turn it off, the battery starts draining till it reaches 5 volts.

2. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

A short in the wiring

3. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

on my 89 hatch that is what my battery did and the A/C compressor fan was shorting out and draining my battery. So I figured that my A/C didnt work any way so I just pulled the fuse. you are going to have to find the short and fix it so it stops grounding out and that should fix it ;)

4. ludegirl

ludegirl Senior Member

that same type of thing happened to my bf's crx. It turned out to be the metal on his intake touching the ground wire and draining the battery. Strange, I know, but its a suggestion.

5. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

my cold air intake on my hatch did that only on my positive not good at all it started smoking and it wouldnt start so I poped the hood and seen burnt rubber on my cai oops :blink:

6. rudeludenotmeanthough

rudeludenotmeanthough Senior Member

how old is the battery? It may have a dead cell, making it unable to hold a charge.

7. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

:werd: :withstupid:
    i had a similar problem and all i needed was a new battery.

8. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

radiator fan constantly running open..

9. Masta

Masta Member

well my short ram intake does touch the battery. My friends been telling me that it's not a good thing to have ur air intake touching the battery terminals. The battery is new, i thought it was the battery so i kept replacing it, each time i replaced it, the same thing happened again. My alternator belt is pretty worn down and it keeps squeeking while the car is on n' while i'm driving, could that be the problem?

10. rudeludenotmeanthough

rudeludenotmeanthough Senior Member

Yup, get the alternator tested. drive down to auto zone and have them test your systems while there still on the car. They will be able to tell you the prob

11. swanny

swanny Senior Member

if your battery drains while the car is off it cant be your alternator. it would have to be some sort of parasitic drain such as a dome light running all the time. check all your wiring, the intake sounds like the problem, just get one of those rubber boots you can put over the terminals.

12. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

if your intake touches the terminal the rubber boot will get worn thru because the engine shifts back and forward when you drive try covering it with some kind of cloth that should not wear thru. You should also look for shorts in the circuits.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted