1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Isolators

Discussion in 'Car Audio / Security / Electronic Accessories' started by K2e2vin, Jan 14, 2005.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i was searching for info on "split charging"(what the brits call it im guessing since ive only seen that term on uk sites) aka battery isolation. well i was trying to debate between a diode type and a relay type and came across this page: http://www.antares.co.uk/split_charging.htm

at the end, if you dont want to read it, it talks about a hybrid type switch but is vague about the design. it says its pretty much a relay type isolator but uses a differet trigger:

any ideas on how to make a standard relay isolator work like that?

2. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

They sell alot of isolators at rv places or marine stores, where people need multiple batteries, check them out.

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

they cost like 20 bucks or so

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

yes i know but what they sell at the rv stores but how would i go about rigging it the "hybrid" method? the diode types are simple enough but heat up and cause voltage drops, while the relay type may open the circuit while you're cranking the car.

5. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

ive got one on my F250. its got 3 hookups on it, one for the alternator excitor wire, and 2 positive hookups, one for each battery. the grounds just get grounded to the chassis. I think mine is diode, and I havent had any problems with it.
    and mine was about 100 bucks....
    edit:
    I have this one:
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...=544&storeNum=9

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted