1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

battery light

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Today I was driving my CRX and the battery light came on (and has stayed on since). A stench of something burning (cant identify exactly) came through the vents at almost the same exact time. I checked and cleaned the connections, I checked the battery. A friend of mine used a voltmeter, and its fine at 12.5 or so. But it seems to not be taking a charge from the alternator because it goes down to 12 after I turn the car on. If something is burning, i cant find it. Any ideas what it might be?

2. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

altenator- When I fried the one i had in my prelude, it smoked and stunk like burning electronics

3. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Start the car and disconnect the battery, if the cars stalls out its definetly the alternator or something related to it.

4. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

It's your alternator. Running your car with the charge warning light on will only ruin your battery. The alternator is not charging and is draining your battery to death.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted