Battery Relocate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slayer1927

Ok so I am doing a battery relocate. I need to know if I need a high cranking amp battery , since I installed the wiring 4ga and ran it all right the car does not have enough power to start . Just see what size you all think I need I tried my boat battery which was a little higher but still was not strong enough to start it.

4 awg is plenty. A stock battery (51R) will also do just fine. You may have an unstable ground, or a loose connection.

I will see if it's the ground in the morning . I'm thinking it is this stock ground that the owner before me installed . I seen it is lose when I went in tonight so that might be it .

I will see if it's the ground in the morning . I'm thinking it is this stock ground that the owner before me installed . I seen it is lose when I went in tonight so that might be it .

If the battery has been relocated, most def not the stock ground. :huh:

Post some pix.

Yah but the ground that he has installed in the back I don't think is good and the ground to the start is messed up I am going to redo all the wires tonight when I do the wire tuck .

Redid all the wires ran the wires still nothing not enough power to turn the starter over.

Redid all the wires ran the wires still nothing not enough power to turn the starter over.

& your 110% certain both batteries you tried have a full charge?
What happens when you jump it with cables from another running car?

Include a pic of cables and connections on your next post.

& your 110% certain both batteries you tried have a full charge?
What happens when you jump it with cables from another running car?

Include a pic of cables and connections on your next post.
Wassamatter doc, can't diagnose type of cancer and treatment without a cat scan? ;)

I think it would just be faster to make a video tonight when I go outside and work on it . I will post the link on here as soon as i'm done thanks for all the help so far

I think it would just be faster to make a video tonight when I go outside and work on it . I will post the link on here as soon as i'm done thanks for all the help so far
I was just joking - here to assist as I can too. Just re-worked the entire engine harness and battery cables on my '91 hatch. Completely stripped the engine harness, added new convoluted tubing and double reverse tape wrap.

Not suggesting as a technical resume by any means - I can just relate to wiring right now as I've been working it this weekend. Almost done with it - hopefully tomorrow night. I ran an additional #8 wire from the positive terminal on the alternator to the battery positive terminal per the instructions that came with the 160a alternator. Ran it inside the harness with everything else and put the breakout near the main fuse/relay box on the passenger side wheel well.

Soon, I'm going to relocate battery to the back on the hatch.

Post some pics.

I'm uploading some pictures of my car not many of the wires .I will have to get more I am going to make a new post topic about my car and add the pictures.

I sthis issue resolved yet? It's either a blown fuse, bad battery, bad alternator or bad connection. Sound advice has been given thus far.

Have you tried jumping it? Do you have a battery charger? If so, charge battery and take it to a parts store so they can load test it. If battery is ok, it's a connection, fuse or the alternator is bad. The parts store can also test your alternator for free.

Last edited:
I sthis issue resolved yet? It's either a blown fuse, bad battery, bad alternator or bad connection. Sound advice has been given thus far.

Have you tried jumping it? Do you have a battery charger? If so, charge battery and take it to a parts store so they can load test it. If battery is ok, it's a connection, fuse or the alternator is bad. The parts store can also test your alternator for free.

x2 Im curious to see what the issue is.

I have checked everything the only thing it can be is the connection now but the wire is all fine and I redid the connections and still nothing I am not sure what to do . I think I am going to try to get a different connector and stronger cranking amp battery it gets power and everything just not enough to turn starter over . I jumped it and it would try but nothing big.

Any way you can send us some pictures? Pics of the battery and connections in the rear and under the hood.

Does the IP light up when ignition is turned on? Do headlamps work? Have you taken the battery - charged it and had it load tested? Ya gotta start eliminating stuff.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Last edited:
Yah im about to go work on it more since its cool outside ,
Tested battery 12.5 volts headlights work blinkers everything but the dam$ starter. Not sure why it wont turn over has good connection.

This thread is crazy. Is it making a noise. Clicking or even turning slowly. If nothing your starter might have taken a crap. If its clicking im sure u got a bad connection.

Yah im about to go work on it more since its cool outside ,
Tested battery 12.5 volts headlights work blinkers everything but the dam$ starter. Not sure why it wont turn over has good connection.
Battery is dead or near dead. 12.5 volts is ~50% charge capacity on a good battery. I suggest your battery is going south so 12.5v on a battery in weakend condition is nil. It at a minimum needs a full charge.

Rule of thumb for lead acid batteries: (removed from charger and allowed to sit for a few hours to allow for surface charge to dissapate)

13.0v = 100% Charge condition
12.0v = 0% Charge condition

Each 1/10v = 10% charge condition. So, 12.3v + 30%, 12.9v = 90%.

Not exact to the third decimal point and percentage point - but damn close.

Have somebody hit the starter or turn lights on and measure battery voltage at the terminals.

Take the battery to the parts house and have them check it.

Last edited:
Back