bb10

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Has anyone played with the new blackberry 10 yet?

I just got one yesterday afternoon and it seems to have a better keyboard than the iPhone, and a lot better than the Android platform.

I'm seriously considering deploying these devices to replace the current version of blackberry we have out in the field.

Nope, never really even handled a bb before. I actually recently switched from an Android phone to a Windows 8 HTC 8x phone and it is sweet. So fast and no weird Android glitches.

I had one of those windows 8 phones, and I gave up on it pretty quickly.

I've got the BlackBerry Z10 right now.

It does have a pretty sleak looking interface. The icons look similar to an iPhone interface, is there anything else you like about it besides the keyboard? The Android touchscreen keyboards always sucked balls. I did like swype, but only certain flavors of the phones actually were compatible with it.

I can't post pictures until release day, but if you google for the z10 you can see it.

Overall, it's a very polished device. It's very light, feels about the same as the iPhone, but slightly bigger. The screen appears bigger, but is only a very little bit wider. Vertical screen height is approximately the same.

Camera is very good quality, focus is quick, capture is very fast, and cycle time is good. I haven't tried video yet, but I figure that'll be just as good. The flash is extremely powerful, I haven't found a flashlight app yet, but I'm sure one exists. The screen is very good and sharp. Nice and bright, forward facing camera seems better than the iPhone.

It slides in and out of a pocket very well, the back is grippy in your hands, on a granite countertop, car dash board, and against leather gloves, but still slides against jeans, jacket pockets, and fabric car seats. It charges on every one of my microUSB chargers, which is a good change against the 9830, which only used "Authenticated" chargers.*

Email isn't bad like the previous versions of the BB OS. The email is nicely laid out, and easy to access from any screen. The facebook app feels like it's just a web interface though, it's lagy and it displays things in non-chronological order. Twitter works fine. The "Blackberry Hub" is where you get all your email, text messages, phone calls, notifications (fb, twitter, etc), and any system notifications.

Google voice works well as an app.

Web browsing is on-par with an android tablet. Click prediction in small areas of pages with lots of clickable links, like forum page links, really sucks -- but it does android and iOS too. The integration of javascript and flash is a welcome change. Most websites detect it as a mobile device so you tend to get the stripped down sites. It does have something that prompts you if there are embedded videos, like youtube or vimeo videos, but for some reason doesn't do it on news websites like your local nbc/fox/cbs affiliate.

Texting is perfect, feels just like any other blackberry, there's not much that needed improving on this.

Here's a good overview of the keyboard, it looks like a preproduction version though, some things are different about the one I have:
BB10 KeyBoard - YouTube

I can't say enough good things about the keyboard. It's the first software keyboard that I'm just as fast on as I would be on a hardware keyboard. That being said, I'm looking forward to the q10 for the keyboard. I can't say that I'd see an improvement with it.

The software keyboard has predictive typing, and it's really good. I think it's about as fast as swype, but I need more practice to make an actual determination. It's a lot better than the android predictive type. The only issue is with endings like 's, ly, ity, and ed. Supposedly it learns words you use commonly, and they way you write, so it should work better after you've used it a lot. Any errors in this post are a result of using the keyboard to type this, so that should be a testament to how nice it is. I actually have only used my laptop once this weekend to pull some pictures from my camera's SD card.

It's a nice phone, it seriously has my considering switching out the iPhone 4 for one,*once my contact is up for renewal.

Hope this hasn't been too much of a novel. It did get kind of long.

Last edited:
Looks like I will need to bug my Telco guy at work about getting me one. I have a Curve at the moment and it is okay for what it is I suppose. But this gives me a little hope that I can do a bit more than just skim email while I am out and about.

Not released yet, unfortunately. It should be on the blanket purchase agreement some time in the next 3-4 months.

IMO, its too little too late... the app developers already have 2 main contenders. win phone and bb devices won't get shit for apps due to market share

I dunno. BB has a firm hold in the world.

Who wants pictures?

Personally I hope iPhones are on their way out. Everyone and their grandma has one. This younger Gen isn't going to want what their grandparents have. At least that's how I justified getting a Windows Phone.

Back