BB6 Knock Sensor Error

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

My buddy has a 97-01 Prelude VTEC (non-SH) and he has a CEL. I helped him find the OBDII port and he scanned it using the free tool from Auto-Zone. The scanner is throwing the code, P0325 Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Anyway, the Honda dealer charged him $90 for inspection and said it was the catalytic converter.

Im trying to help him rule out the less expensive thing first, so are there any suggestions to see if the knock sensor is messed up? Also, if someone could post a picture of where it is, that'd be GREAT. I searched this forum and saw a Bseries which was located right above the oil filter, so would it be near there too on a Hseries?

If it isnt that and ends up being the cat, are there alternatives to using the $500 OEM ones?

BTW, we're in CA so theyre pretty anal.

Thanks a bunch.

yes, there *should* be much lower priced alternatives. out here in Chicagoland, i can get a cheap ass one for 50 bucks, and high flow for 100.

If you can hold off, my car's w/ my mechanic now and he's working on wiring my obd1 B16 knock sensor, and it's having issues, so next time i talk to him i can ask him for some troubleshooting steps.

If your knock sensor is functioning, but throwing a code because it's detecting knock, then it's retarding your timing, thus making your run slightly rich. how'd the honda guy diagnose your car? i'd expect a scan tool, but because of the richness being minor, he may have had it hooked to a the old tube style emissions test and thought your cat wasn't doing it's job anymore. my guess.

Back