BBK 70MM THROTTLE BODY ON LS....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tlb1127

Banned
I have a 90 LS motor in a 88 CRX HF and im going ALL MOTOR. Im wondering if it is good for me to get a 70mm throttle body if im going all motor. PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS.

I just ordered a BBK 70mm for my motor and now im wondering if it is good or not.

what other mods do you have? sounds like your wasting your money unless you are running high comp pistons, and some radical cams. even with a 647892 mm tb and no internals, you wont gain shit all motor period.

Way too big. I don't think you could get cams agressive enough in a B18B to take advantage of a TB that large.

Well Im just getting started and i already have all the basic external mods such as Skunk2 Manifold, ACT Clutch, Cold Air Intake, Headers, Exhaust, Lightened Main Pulley, GroundWireKit, AEM Cam Gears and a few others. I have no internal work done as of yet but i will have the whole HEAD built by end of summer.

So Is it still good that i get the 70mm or should i get like a 68mm?

You really are aproaching the situation backwards, and often the result is poor gains.

The intake manifold, throttle body, intake, exhaust manifold, and exhaust are all based around each other and more importantly what cams, and compression you plan on running. (All which should corispond to a power goal, and a powerband location).

68 is still way too large.

Going with a S2 im, huge TB, etc, is just going to slow you down. You are sacrificing air quantity for air velocity. But right now your cams/head can not breath enough to take advantage of the quantity. So what happens is you get low cylinder filling all the time.

Well I am planning on getting a whole Crower Camset and Valvetrain, Stage 2. What throttle Body size do you suggest i get so it will be good for what i have now and even better for when i get the Head Re-Done.

Also does anyone have any good suggestions on any other Camsets and valvetrains that are good for a Daily Driver Setup but i still want it to be fast cause im sticking with the STOCK look but i want a fast motor. I want to at least break High 13's Low 14's when Im done with my Car. PLEASE POST ANY SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS. THANKS

Stage 2?

There are 62402's which are a turbo cam
403's which are simmilar to the GSR cam profile
404's are closer to the ITR
405's are about as aggressive as you can go with out modifying your rocker arms.

There is no stage 2

for low 14's, you are going to at least need 404's. In which case an ITR TB would be right up your alley.

Anything lower than the 404s are you are already going too big.

Well i have no clue what any of those numbers mean, Im not an expert at that type of stuff, But i know for sure there is Stage 2 Crower Cams, If you goto their site you will see a Stage2 Cam for a Street/Strip Application.

But anyways, Thanks for your input but does anyone have suggestions for other brands that are good for cams and valvetrain parts.

Ahh, they do say stage2, but there are two stage 2's

62402T-2 Stage 2 - Turbo/Super Charger specially designed specifically for forced induction applications. Features short duration, high lift for added cylinder pressure and good bottom end power. Requires kit 84162. 235 / 235 190 / 190 .469 / .469

62403-2 Stage 2 - Street/Strip package. MOST POPULAR profile. Requires 84162 kit. 1000 to 8000+ rpm (15-18 hp).

Either one is not going to be enough to warrent a 68-70mm TB. And doubtfully a S2 IM.

So, what is a standard throttle body application look like? (I have D16Y8 specifically) and I need a new throttle body. Other than intake and exhaust, I don't have much set up around breathing. What throttle body would be right for me?

Really IM and TB are some of the last items you should buy. They are very powerband and total power dependant.

Which is why until you start switching to cams that alter your powerband and provide big gains, you are just going to be slowed down by swapping them out.

70mil is too big if you're going all motor, like some of the other said, you either wont see any increase or you'll lose power. now if you go turbo, thats a whole different story.

WELL, Ive found another Throttle body im going to get, a JG Edelbrock 65MM Throttle Body. Is 65 Going to be good for me???? And im Definately going to rebuild my whole head with the Crower Setup.

Yes, still too big.

You have to look at what the rest of your engine package is. You can't just randomly pick sizes and expect it to work.

If the Tb is not sized for the rest of your engine, you will lose power.

Which crower cams are you going with? You CAN NOT pick an accurate intake manifold or throttle body, with out knowing that first.

It may seem like a pita to plan it all out, or you may just want someone to tell you what TB to get, but trust me, the power results of randomly picking parts are going to be more than disapointing.

What I am planning to do is go ALL-MOTOR setup and rebuild the whole motor top to bottom. For the head im getting the Stage2 Crower Cams Street/Strip package w/ the dual spring/titanium retainer package and stainless steel valves. What Throttle body do you suggest for this and what Block setup should i do, I know i need High compression for all motor, But do you have suggestions for Rods/Pistons???

If the Tb is not sized for the rest of your engine, you will lose power.

THat is exactly the point. It is all about the CFM's you are flowing, it's just like matching exhaust pipe diameter to fit your application. If you get a 70mm TB, expect to see no power gains AT ALL until you are pushin like 7500-8000 rpm, and even then only expect like a hp or so. You most likely will lose power at the lower end of your powerband, lets say up to 5500 or so, because by increasing the flow area across the tb, you are decreasing the velocity of the intake air stream, thus a loss in kinetic energy. That is also why you don't supersize your intake ports unless you are looking for a REALLY peaky powerband. 70mm is alright if you have a bored to 2.0 or bigger block, because those engines just by default suck in more air with every stroke. 70mm on a stock block b18 is too much. 65 is only a couple mils larger than an itr, so if you have a really good ported head, and have the intake and exhaust manifold portmatched, you might be able to make use of the 65, other than that, stick with an ITR TB, it will be more than adequate.

Originally posted by tlb1127@Apr 29 2004, 10:58 AM
What I am planning to do is go ALL-MOTOR setup and rebuild the whole motor top to bottom. For the head im getting the Stage2 Crower Cams Street/Strip package w/ the dual spring/titanium retainer package and stainless steel valves. What Throttle body do you suggest for this and what Block setup should i do, I know i need High compression for all motor, But do you have suggestions for Rods/Pistons???

With the Crower 403's , I would just bore out your LS TB.

Even the ITR TB will be too big at that point.

Look into dynamic compression to find out what CR you should run. You can't just guess this stuff.

I am a fan of Eagle Rods, and Endyn Pistons.

Back