be careful what and where you drive

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
Last April 9th, at Dugway Proving Ground in Utah, two soldiers were driving a rented SUV about five kilometers from the part of the range used for live firing. It was at night, and an F-16 that thought it was firing at something in the live fire area, lit up the SUV instead. Only 70 20mm rounds were fired. Fortunately, the two people in the SUV were only injured (both from flying glass, the passenger got a dislocated shoulder as he rapidly exited the vehicle when it quickly turned off the road and stopped.) The investigation of how this happen has not been completed.
f-16-4.jpg

f-16-suv.jpg

OOPS!!!

it could have been worse i guess
they could have been live firing rockets

or it could have been an A10 live firing the cannon

either way... hope they took out the extra insurance :lmao:

well, the army should pay for it, since it was not on the live fire range when it was shot.

they are soooo lucky to be alive.

:concur:

looks like the driver was about 6-8 inches away from taking one to the kidney :eek:

yeah i woulda pooped myself :shocked: :crap:

Holy shit. Something like that should never happen.

Ya no shit. Hopefully his insurance covers damage from aircraft fired ammunition lol.

That's very insane. Wow.

WTF?
I never heard about this, and I live in Utah.

Dugway is in the middle of Skull Valley about 60 miles west of Salt Lake City. I was just outside of Dugway in a little settlemnet called Iosepa(Hawaiian for Joseph) over Memorial weekend.

"only 70 20 mm rounds were fired..." lol

i bet that was in the span of about 3 seconds.

http://www.f-16.net/news_article2825.html
The sport utility vehicle, a rental from Avis, was in part of the range where the Air Force uses live ammunition in mock combat. Lt. Beth Woodward says it was not clear whether the soldiers were supposed to be in the area when the pilot fired.

Emphasized for effect.

Ok, so they were on the range. At night. What do you expect?

I'm not sure why the pilot thought he should be firing at a moving SUV. F16 targeting is precise enough to distinguish between some crap bunker or abandoned vehicle and a moving, running vehicle. Didn't his Co or mission control tell him what he was going to be doing? If his flight that night didn't include demolishing a Suburban...?

I'd be willing to bet that they drag cars/trucks out there for firing practice. Pilot figured it was fresh meat.

Wonder why the tires are flat? perhaps bullet frags that hit the ground near the suv.. still odd.

Back