be carteful buying a car from RI

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ran a Car fax -Clean title
Ran a autocheck -clean title
CarFax claims they dont offer a warranty on "theft vehicles" thats nice

Wow. WTF is this with CarFax? And I think that somehow this scam could be perpetrated in other states not just Rhode Island... geez. :ph34r:

Well at least I have a lifetime supply of cars right now. Hmmm.

That really blows.

*checks out the carfax ad banner at the bottom of the page* :p

It's refreshing to see mature conversation on a message board. I just bought a 99 SE-L at a big dealership 3 weeks ago. It came off of a 5 year lease. Interestingly, since I had a 30 day carfax membership, I ran several cars and was surprised at the results.

The 96 Grand Caravan we traded in 2 years ago has no history on it after the Honda dealership we traded it in on took it to an auction. I'm certain someone somewhere is driving it, but according to carfax, it hasn't been titled since.

Before I bought the Max, I sold a BMW to a guy out of state who really thought he knew everything because he had checked carfax etc. Well, I'm not even listed on carfax as ever owning the car! And, I had it for 18 months. It showed the previous owner on it, and shows service at the dealership a few times, but apparantly my county does not report to carfax. The buyer of my BMW assumed that I was the 2nd owner and I was at least the 3rd. Being out of state, he didn't realize that the person he thought I was (the previous owner) lived 100 miles from me. A local person would have known the geography.

Other 4th gens I considered had questionable histories over 2 or 3 different east coast states and I didn't trust that.

Carfax gives a buyer a few more pieces of the puzzle, but it is not 100% complete.

^^^^ This post was at the bottom of the second page of that thread. Very interesting about how CarFax is really not perfect in their tracking histories of some cars.

Also, I talked to a gas station in Florida a few months ago about a red first gen CRX in their impound lot without plates. The station attendant said that they get calls from businesses with abandoned cars on their properties. One example that he gave was that a tire shop might have a customer just not pick up their car after ordering tires to be placed on it. The customer just never returned. After a few weeks, they call to have the abandoned vehicle towed away. If the car isn't claimed at the tow lot after a certain period of time, the tow yard can apply for a replacement title and just sell it. The station attendant said that this happens all the time down there.

I would also be wary of NH cars. There are several large auto wholesalers with weekly auctions. I'm sure that some of the paperwork gets fucked up every week.

What if the guy that sold the car was telling the truth?

I had a rebuilt titled motorcycle that some how managed to turn into a clean title when I put it under my name.

I also have a friend who had a rebuild Jeep the guy bought it from his friend with a rebuilt title, then sold it to his friend with a rebuilt title then once again the freinds friend "who use to live next door" bought it and...... clean title... WTF

Maybe depending on what state it came from and if it goes to another state..... I have no idea.....

I've yet to see a clean title to rebuilt but as I just type I've seen rebuilt titles turn clean.

i dunno how to do it. <Maybe he has to title it in a different state, then retitle it in his state

RI has some fucked up shit. They do not give titles for 10+ year old vehicles at all. That's what happened when i bought the 92 Prelude, I was like WTF wheres the title and he handed me some papers, the were noterized and the statue on the paper was correct and they did allow me to have it retitle in PA with a clean title.

Hey I have a joke for you.

What do you get when you put a bunch of gays together.

(heres a hint, the asnwer isnt party at jeffs house.)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Dec 25 2004, 06:09 PM-->
@Dec 25 2004, 04:43 PM
Party at jeff's house?
[post=437144]Quoted post[/post]​

jeffie and his 5 friends?
[post=437197]Quoted post[/post]​

These five friends? ;)

hand.jpg

I was thinking RI but I guess any of those answers work =)

then again I am picking rachelle up tomorrow from the airport =)~

jr.jpg

I can't wait to get my last xmas gift from her =) woohooo

Shes a pino

rach.jpg

I'm pissed at her she cut her hair so now she has bangs....BAH
ohwell what can I do......

who gives a fuck?

she's hot as hell and i love them phillipino [sp?] women.

props Jeffie. :thumbsup:

you look EXACTLY like this kid I know, shits scary.

fucking eh her flight was canceled now shes stuck at her layover 3 hours away....

she might get on the 12:15 flight if there's an open seat if not she has a confirmed flight at 1:00

bah ohwell time to play some GTA SA

Back