Bearing code numbers?? Long

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Angus

OK getting prepped for my first Honda rebuild. I am rebuilding a '90 D16A lower end to replace '92 D16Z6 short block that has a nice inspection hole through the block. The Vtec head will be refreshed and reinstalled. I acquired this '92 Civic EX free from a customer that didn't want to fool with a new motor. Anyway this will be a stock car used for by my daughters and for good mileage.

I bought the A6 short block from a kid that was swapping to a bigger motor. I took the A6 apart and everything is very grimey but looks OK. One rod bearing and one main bearing are damaged, but the crank, block, and rod measure good and are not scratched or groved in any way. The cylinders show no sign of a ridge and the original cross hatch is style quite visible. The pistons show a little wear, but the original machine marks are still visible.

I was all excited that I might get away with stock size bearings and just a rehone when I ran into a new problem. I have built many a engine, but this is my first Honda. I found out about the high tolerance bearings and the chart. When I looked on the block for the main code, the surface has been worn down and all marks are gone! Is the three digit code on the bearings themself a size code? I noticed that one of the bearings has a different letter combo so I am hopeing!!

Thanks, Angus

You order them by color for different sizes. There might be a chance that the number on the back will tell you the color but i am not for sure. Can you see and color on the back of the bearing? If you do then that is the color you will need. You might want to consider buying a ACL duraglide standard size bearing kit for your rebuild. They are about half the cost and work quite well.

If there was a color it is long been baked off now. They look like worn babbit bearings, no color.

Yes, the block must have been rubbing on something in its former life, the surface is polished smooth, no markings at all. I have been doing this for a long time, just not on Hondas. I always assumed it was because Hondas are so well made. I too do a job right and once, thats why I asked you guys since I am new to this fine machinery.

Back