Bearing sizes..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crix

I need help on the bearing sizes. Some of you might know I just had my bottom end balanced. Its a LS crank with ls rods and pr3 pistons.

I get a call back saying that iam going to be 10 and 10. I ask him what that means. This being my first time putting a motor together I don't know. 10 and 10 meant iam going to be 10 over on the bearing sizes. He says thats really good. So does this mean that I would just go to a thicker bearing when measuring my bearing sizes? Cause I doubt now that there going to be what I originally came up with. Which was Yellow Yellow Green Pink for the rods and Y, Y , Y , P , Y for the mains. Just using that as a exsample. Those arent my exsact sizes. I don't remember what they were I have them written down in my garage.

Do I just go about how you would normally measure bearing sizes like it says in the helms and go from there on bearing thickness and what not along with using plastigague?

this is the normal size chart using oem honda bearings

gallery_1_1_1104723620.jpg

not sure what your machine shop did.. so i can't help you there

just a micropolished crank along with him doing the balancing on the bottom end. Thats it. But he said something like iam going to be .10 over on the bearings. Which iam guessing is going to be differnt from what is asked from honda. I dont know really.

Originally posted by Crix@Dec 31 2004, 09:06 PM
I need help on the bearing sizes. Some of you might know I just had my bottom end balanced. Its a LS crank with ls rods and pr3 pistons.

I get a call back saying that iam going to be 10 and 10. I ask him what that means. This being my first time putting a motor together I don't know. 10 and 10 meant iam going to be 10 over on the bearing sizes.

Do I just go about how you would normally measure bearing sizes like it says in the helms and go from there on bearing thickness and what not along with using plastigague?
[post=439714]Quoted post[/post]​

All the macinist is telling you by saying you're going to be 10/10. is that the crank needed to have the bearing surfaces refinished. so he's got to machine off .010 (10 thousanths) off each bearing journal. so you'll need to get a .010 oversized bearing to make up the difference. Whatever stock sized bearing your helms manual says to use add .010 thickness to that, or if your not really sure as to what size you think you need have the machinist plastigage the crank and order the correct bearing size.

and when he says that it's good , what he means is if he had to shave anymore than .010 off the cracnk you'd be better off getting a new crank.

Similar to boring or honing a cylinder wall. you can only over-bore a cylinder wall so much untill the wall is to thin and the block would be basically useless.

Back