Bearings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

George777

^^ Likes Bewbies
How often do bearings go bad on the EF chassis? Haven't heard of it very often. Reason for the question is this is the second time the rear wheel bearings on my CRX need to be replaced...Just wondering if this is something out of the ordinary or if I am just being crazy...

hmm, how many miles on 'em? any chance they were in grubby or wrong? could just be defective bearing...

as for replacement, i've only had to replace the fronts so far once.

:shrug2:

The body has 178xxx miles...I guess the previous owner replaced them at 120xxx miles, and now it needs them again. He had the receipts and paperwork from a stealership in Vegas from about five years ago...Don't know what the car has been through--I have only put about 3000 miles on the car (if that) since I picked it up...

Makes me wonder if there is something else wrong...The only thing that seemed out of the ordinary was the suspension, which was chopped springs. And I fixed that with Blanco's suspension I picked up...

Could that have cause it?

Blanco/Scott: I haven't taken pictures of the car on the suspension because my girl takes the car out anytime she needs something, and with her working nights and me working days, it makes it tough to actually see her or the car...

She likes it a LOT better than the rough ride of the chopped springs. I haven't really had a chance to drive it to see how it is. Went to the store for milk and smokes and then came back--store is <.5 miles...

My hatch has 247,XXX miles and the bearings are still good. I'm about to do the suspension on that one, too...The hatch's suspension is rediculously bouncy and stiff...It will be a relief to have it adjustable and hopefully better...

Depends on the environment. Saltwater / sand will eat em alot faster than mild conditions. Check your alignment and ball joints, etc. If you're off somewhere, it'll create alot of excess stress on the bearings.

Also, seedy auto shops don't actually replace the bearings, they just repack them with a heavy grease.

I haven't done an alignment on it yet, but I will once I get the bearings replaced...should be done by tomorrow...I need to do it anyway since I just changed the suspension...

Thanks

Of my three "EF"'s my 88 hatchback had bad front wheel bearings and had the lowest miles(218k miles). My two 88 CRX's bearings were still good and they were body over 230k. I must ad, the 88 HB was riced, while both of the CRX's were "conservatively" driven. The knuckles in my 88 HB are replaced with 91 EX knuckles and so far they're still good(roughly 170k on them at the moment).

I've yet to have an issue with the rear bearings.

Back